Phillips earns CAA rookie honors for third time

Freshman guard Shykeim Phillips earned rookie honors heading into CAA tournament play

Zachary Kilby/The Seahawk

Shykeim Phillips goes in for a layup during UNCW’s matchup with N.C. Wesleyan on Nov. 19, 2019.

Noah Powers, Sports Editor

WILMINGTON – Point guard Shykeim Phillips wrangled in Colonial Athletic Association Rookie of the Week honors for the third time this season.  

The freshman put up an average 16 points, four and a half rebounds and four assists in a 1-1 finish last week. The Seahawks handled Drexel with a 76-65 win and fell to Delaware, 82-65, to close out the season, finishing 10-21 with a 5-13 mark in conference play.  

Interim head coach Rob Burke recognized the success of Phillips, especially after taking the starting point guard position following the departure of sophomore Kai Toews back in December.  

Shykeim has really taken command of his position and is really learning how to be the consummate point guard,” Burke told UNCW Athletic Communications. “Without foul trouble on Thursday, he would have had a bigger game due to the pace of the game.” 

Also noted by Burke was the Winterville native’s modesty as the young floor general for the Seahawk club. 

“I think this young man will be the first to tell you how important his teammates are in earning this honor for a third time,” Burke said on Twitter. “Keep being who you are becoming as a floor general.” 

UNCW opens the 2020 CAA tournament at the Entertainment and Sports Arena in Washington D.C. on Saturday, March 7, where the No. 9 ‘Hawks take on No. 8 Drexel.