Suggs named preseason all-CAA

Barefoot: “Lacey has earned her right to play minutes this year.”

Noah Powers, Assistant Sports Editor

UNC Wilmington junior guard Lacey Suggs has added an accomplishment that far surpasses the shock she felt from seeing her face on magnets, posters and buses around Wilmington.

Suggs was selected to the 2018-19 preseason All-Colonial Athletic Association team as an honorable mention. The White Lake native had a breakout season last year, averaging 11.8 points per game and scored in double figures in 21-of-31 games. Suggs was named Second-Team All-State and ranked 14 in the CAA last season.

She also scored 20 or more points in five contests—a team-high for the Seahawks.

As a breakout player, extra attention is not a concern for the junior, as she heads into her third season as a Seahawk.

“I’ve just got to stay humble,” said Suggs. “Continue that leadership role that I played last year, keeping the team as a whole.”

Suggs joined the Seahawks as a walk-on under former coach Adell Harris and played minimal minutes before Karen Barefoot took over the program before Suggs’ sophomore year. Barefoot knew she had the potential to be one of the Seahawks’ leaders since she arrived in the Port City, but knows Suggs’ drive made it happen.

“Credit to her for putting the work in,” said Barefoot. “We can’t do but so much with the hours that we get, but she put the work in and it’s showing right now in the preseason.”

Barefoot offered the East Bladen High School graduate a scholarship midway through her sophomore season. That hasn’t stopped Suggs from taking full advantage of the opportunity she has earned.

“Nothing’s really changed with me,” said Suggs about the scholarship. “I’m going to still work hard whether I have it or not. I’m going to respect my coaches whether I have it or not.”

Suggs has evolved from a benchwarmer to an all-conference player just because she was given an opportunity. The talent and heart were always there. The credit now is too.