Michael Jordan offers Hurricane Florence assistance

Brandon Sans, Sports Editor

Wilmington native and Charlotte Hornets owner Michael Jordan has teamed with the National Basketball Association to begin Hurricane Florence disaster relief efforts.

Organizations Jordan and the NBA are partnering with include the American Red Cross, Direct Relief, Foundation for the Carolinas, Second Harvest Food Bank and the United Way of Central Carolinas.

“It’s truly devastating for me to see the damage that Hurricane Florence is doing to my beloved home state of North Carolina and to the surrounding areas,” said Jordan in a statement. “The recovery effort will be massive, and it will take a long time to repair the damage and for families to get back on their feet. Together with the NBA, we have launched a platform to aid those most impacted. Please join me, the Hornets organization and the NBA and donate to one of the local organizations assisting in the relief and recovery efforts.  To all those affected, stay safe and know that we’re here to help.”

On Tuesday, Jordan announced he would donate $2 million to relief efforts in his hometown. The donation will be divided between the American Red Cross and the Foundation for the Carolinas Florence Response Fund who will receive $1 million each.

“Wilmington truly is my home. Kept thinking about all those places I grew up going to,” said Jordan to the News and Observer. “And the deaths – it was so sad about the babies (that died, including one in Gaston County). You don’t want to see any of that anywhere, but when it’s home, that’s tough to swallow.”

Jordan is a 1981 graduate of Emsley A. Laney High School where he played basketball, baseball and football. He infamously was cut from the varsity basketball team in his sophomore year for being too short.

Jordan played the final two years at Laney on the varsity basketball team after a growth spurt the summer prior to his junior year.  The six-time NBA champion was named a McDonald’s All-American his senior season before accepting a basketball scholarship at North Carolina.

When Laney renovated its gymnasium and new media center last year, Jordan and the Jordan Brand donated 30 all-white pairs of every Jordan sneaker ever made. His signature Jumpman logo appears at midcourt in the refurbished gym.

Those interested in donating can find more information here.