Terriers sweep Diamond Hawks in Friday doubleheader

Noah Powers/The Seahawk

No. 28 Zack Canada

Brian Carpenter, Staff Writer

With bad weather expected in the forecast on Saturday, UNC Wilmington dropped both games of a doubleheader with the Wofford Terriers Friday at Brooks Field. Here is how it happened:

Wofford 13, UNCW 1

Alex Royalty took the mound for the Seahawks following a start against William & Mary where he went five and a third innings and took the loss. In five innings, Royalty gave up six earned runs and walked four batters over a total of 87 pitches. He managed just one strikeout.

UNCW got off to a solid start offensively, as a first-inning RBI single from Mason Berne scored Greg Jones to put the Seahawks ahead 1-0. Two of UNCW’s four hits in the game came in the bottom of the first inning.

UNCW’s offense was shut down by Wofford’s Adam Scott. Over seven innings and 96 pitches, he struck out seven Seahawk batters with just a single walk.

Wofford’s offense took over by the second inning, as a three-run inning put the Terriers ahead and they never looked back. Wofford would go on to score another 10 runs. The Terriers were helped by three Seahawk errors.

“Our guys are really good defensively, it is just sometimes the game speeds up on them. We need to relax and take our time,” said Berne.

This was only the second time this season UNCW had given up 10 or more runs in a game. The other was on the road against Coastal Carolina in February’s 10-5 loss.

Wofford 5, UNCW 4

In game two, Landon Roupp took the mound for the Seahawks (19-11) in his sixth start of the season. In four innings of work, he struck out four batters and gave up three earned runs.

“Landon did a good job for us. We probably could have left him in there a little longer but after losing the first game the way we did and knowing we had some guys fresh in the bullpen, we felt like it was time to go,” said UNCW coach Mark Scalf.

In the top of the third inning, Colin Davis hit a two-run home run over the left-center field wall to give the Terriers a 2-0 lead. UNCW fought back with a three-run spot of their own, as an error by Wofford’s Alex Malsch allowed two Seahawk runners to score off the bat of UNCW’s Jones.

Ryan Jeffers added an RBI groundout in the inning to make it 3-2, Seahawks.

“I believe that we had an alright approach, but we need to be a little bit tougher with two strikes. We need to not expand the zone and stay within ourselves,” said Berne.

The Terriers (22-10) would go on to add another run in the top of the fourth inning as Max McDougald added an RBI Single to even the game at 3. In the fifth, McClain Bradley’s RBI single and Andrew Orzel’s RBI triple made it a 5-3 game. The two runs came off of Justin Walke, who took over for Roupp in the fifth.

With the Seahawks trailing 5-3 heading into the bottom of the ninth, UNCW needed a ninth-inning rally to salvage the second game of the doubleheader. Berne got the Seahawks off to a good start, as he roped a leadoff double to right center. Following a fly ball to left field by Zack Canada, the Seahawks called to David Sheaffer as a pinch hitter.

Sheaffer was able to drive Berne in from a second with a single to make it 5-4, but that would be all.

Stat of the Game: This is the first season for Alex Royalty where he lost three games in the regular season. He went 8-2 in his freshman season and 9-2 in his sophomore season. Mason Berne extended his hitting streak to 10 games.

Quote of the Game: “The story in the first game was way too many free baserunners. The second ballgame I thought was much better. I thought we played cleaner defensively and pitched well although free baserunners hurt us in the second ballgame too.”- UNCW Coach Mark Scalf