Wilmington protestors ‘call BS’ during March for Our Lives Rally

Wilmington resident Meg Gilbert at the March for Our Lives Rally in Downtown Wilmington. Gilbert's sign shows Parkland shooting survivor Emma Gonzalez who has become a popular face of the gun reform movement. Gilbert came to the rally because she

Wilmington resident Meg Gilbert at the March for Our Lives Rally in Downtown Wilmington. Gilbert's sign shows Parkland shooting survivor Emma Gonzalez who has become a popular face of the gun reform movement. Gilbert came to the rally because she "has four kids who are in school and I'm worried about their safety."

On March 24 over two thousand protestors participated in the March for Our Lives rally as they marched down the Riverwalk in downtown Wilmington and crowded around the Lennon Federal Courthouse.

The Saturday afternoon crowd showed that age was of no importance as young and old marched together chanting, “hey hey, ho ho, the NRA has got to go!” and “this is what democracy looks like”.

Liz Hines, a professor at UNCW, told The Seahawk that she attended the march because she is “an opponent of guns in the hands of people that shouldn’t have them and they should just be in the hands of the police and the military.”

UNCW Professor Liz Hines at Saturday’s March for Our Lives Rally. Photo courtesy of Meredith Hoffman.

Many female protestors held signs indicating that they were part of the activist group Moms Demand Action For Gun Sense in America [MDA], which was founded in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting in 2012.

Bette Easton, a retired teacher and mother from Brunswick County, was at the March For Our Lives to “support the kids”. Photo courtesy of Meredith Hoffman.

Wilmington was not the only city in the United States, or even the world, to hold a March for Our Lives Rally on March 24. In Washington, D.C. USA Today reports that over 800,000 people participated in what is being called the “largest single-day protest in the history of the nations capitol”

To put that number into perspective, the population of Wilmington N.C. is roughly 117,525 people.

The United States was not the only country to experience March For Our Lives rallies on Saturday. As the BBC reported, “More than 800 sister protests were planned nationwide and abroad, with solidarity events taking place in Edinburgh, London, Geneva, Sydney and Tokyo”

Protest signs during the Wilmington March for Our Lives Rally ranged from serious to satirical, with one marcher dressed up as the grim reaper with a sign, which read “the NRA feeds the grim reaper.”

The “grim reaper” at the March for Our Lives Rally. Photo courtesy of Meredith Hoffman.

Once the crowd was gathered around Lennon Federal Courthouse, 14-year-old New Hanover High school student and event organizer Summer Marshburn gave an impassioned speech to the thousands gathered with a call for civic involvement which stressed the importance of voting in the upcoming November primary elections.

Marshburn singled out Congressmen David Rouzer who represents N.C’s 7th congressional district. Rouzer will be up for reelection in November and Marshburn was quick to inform the crowd of his pro-gun stance.

On Rouzer’s website, he stated his view on the Second Amendment as such, “I am a proud member of the NRA, and a strong supporter of our Second Amendment rights. The Second Amendment is about much more than the right to hunt, as some seem to suggest. It is about protecting ourselves from enemies foreign and domestic.”

Sentiments such as this were not well received at Saturdays March as the crowd threatened to “vote him out!” with renewed calls for an increase in political efficacy from the marchers in the 2018 primary elections.

Protestors gathered around Wilmington’s Lennon Federal Courthouse. Photo courtesy of Meredith Hoffman.