New SGA President, VP Announced: Tillett and Brethen named for 2018-2019 school year

Courtesy of the Tillet & Brethen for Student Body President and Vice President Facebook page

Tillet (right) and Brethen (left) have been elected next year’s SGA preident and vice president.

Casey McAnarney, Editor-in-Chief

Voting has closed on UNC Wilmington’s campus for the Student Government Association presidential and vice presidential race, and we now have new executives for the 2018-2019 school year.

Cole Tillet and Elizabeth Brethen have been named next year’s SGA president and vice president respectively. Tillet won 53 percent of the vote in the presidential race and Brethen won 56 percent.

Running on a campaign of “Service, Inclusion, Sustainability,” Tillet and Brethen campaigned on social media by creating a Facebook page and Instagram account solely for their campaign. Their Instagram account had 391 followers and their Facebook page had 89 likes and 90 follows.

In a post on their campaign’s Instagram account, they said, “We want to extend a huge thank you yo all of our supporters! We are excited to serve you as Student Body President and Student Body Vice President this coming year! Thank you to Ottillie and John for a great race.”

Tillet and Brethen’s win means the end of incumbent Ottillie Mensah’s tenure as Student Body President. Mensah was voted into office last year in a rare runoff election as neither candidate reached the required minimum of votes. The Seahawk’s Daniel West reported last year that according to SGA’s constitution, “An election must have one candidate receive 50 percent +1 of all votes tallied for a candidate to be declared a winner.”

Mensah, a junior here at UNCW, was running for reelection with John Weeks, seeing as her current vice president is graduating this semester.