The Book of Wesley: UNCW alumni forms local theater troupe

Kiersten Wiles | Contributing Writer

“There are three types of people in this world: leaders, followers and people who should get the fuck out of the way.”

Wesley Brown’s father, Phil, taught him that life lesson, and he has remembered it ever since. It’s what helped Brown go from Tiger Cub to Eagle Scout. It pushed him to pursue a film studies major at a school he was deferred from. And it’s why he is the president of a non-profit theatre organization that had its second stage musical this October.

Most college students start their academic career hoping to achieve their dream job after graduation. In this harsh economic climate, the possibility of that dream coming true is fading for many students. At least, that’s what they think. Brown can attest to the contrary. He was able to land his dream job only two months after graduation. If a college student wants to know how to achieve their career goal, they need look no further than fellow Seahawk Wesley Brown.

High school for Brown was just like any other teenager’s experience. He was outgoing, weird, and wore lots of red and black. Well, maybe it wasn’t exactly the same, but he went through a lot of the same struggles most high school students do.

“I’m not good at tests, I hate tests. I don’t study. I’m not that kind of person,” said Brown.

Wesley applied to UNCW in hopes of pursuing film studies, but was initially deferred. In order to make sure he was enrolled for the fall of 2005, Brown asked his teachers and Boy Scout troop leaders to write letters of recommendation. They worked. Brown joined the class of 2009 at UNCW that fall.

“If you want it, you go and get it, and you take it for yourself,” said Brown.

Although Brown did not do well academically, he made up for it by being as hands-on as possible. When he started at UNCW, he became as involved as he could. He joined the Flicker Film Society, where students can make their own movies even if they are not a film studies major. He became a projectionist at Lumina Theatre, where he developed a love for 35mm film. At the same time, Wesley was taking courses to become a film studies major. When it was time to apply, Brown came short of the necessary GPA requirement by .01, and he was not accepted. The school let him appeal to try and get into the major.

“I was working at Lumina Theatre as the manager of the projectionists. I was Vice President of Flicker Film Society. I had been doing a lot of short films with a lot of people, making friends with a lot of professors, getting into a lot of classes I shouldn’t have been in because I showed up to class on the first day and was like ‘let me in,” Brown said.

Subsequently, he received three letters of recommendation. Film professor Chip Hackler even told Brown that he deserved to be a film studies major more than anyone. Hackler remembers Brown exhibiting the best qualities in a student.

“I remember Wesley as being enthusiastic and bringing positive energy to his classes. The ability to be a good collaborator is especially important in filmmaking, and I believe Wesley was—and probably is—a good collaborator. I think Wesley succeeded because he was a dedicated and hardworking student. ” said Hackler.

Ultimately, Wesley did make it into the film studies major in the second semester of his junior year.

Because of Wesley’s dedication to the craft he loved, he was able to continue with the career goal he went to college to achieve. His dedication and solid work ethic stem back to his family life and upbringing. Wesley’s parents were strict; they spanked him, washed his mouth out with soap, and had him join the Boy Scouts as a Tiger Cub. To some, parents like Brown’s may sound extreme, but he is thankful for them and the values they instilled in him.

“I definitely attribute my personality and my outlook on life to my grandparents on both sides and my parents. Just simple things, like how to properly shake someone’s hand, and you look someone in the eye when talking to them. Just simple acts of respect, like holding doors open for ladies and things like that. I feel very grateful that I had that experience,” Brown said.

Boy Scouts also played a role in why Brown is the hard worker he is. He learned to be driven while pursuing his goal of becoming an Eagle Scout, which he received right after turning sixteen. According to Boy Scout Law, a Scout is loyal, helpful, friendly, obedient, and brave, to name a few. Brown exhibits all of those traits in his academics, career and everyday life.

Brown took advantage of internships while in school. His junior year, Brown talked with his advisor about participating in an internship and found success with Cinepartners, a lighting and grip warehouse. It went well, and he decided he wanted to do another internship with a different company after graduation. The likelihood of getting a job with a company you interned for is higher after graduation because you do not have to return to school in the fall. Wesley took advantage of that opportunity, and joined Legion Studios in May of 2009 as an intern. Halfway through July, Wesley was offered a job before his internship was even over.

Brown began as a post-production assistant. He logged and captured footage that then needed to be labeled and backed up. He was also the equipment manager, organizing and keeping track of all the cameras, microphones, and other equipment.

Alex Marden graduated from UNCW this past May and is currently an intern at Legion. He has spent the past couple of months working with Brown, observing how he runs things. “Intense efficiency is, I think, the key phrase,” said Marden. Marden says he owes his opportunity to intern at Legion to Brown. He aspires to one day have a permanent job with Legion Studios.

Brown has moved on to more than just labeling footage and taking care of equipment. He has been a camera operator from time to time and goes on location to film shows for The CW and The Military Channel. Last week, Brown went to Georgia to film the International Sniper Competition for the Military Channel.

When he isn’t working at Legion, Wesley spends his spare time with the theatre troupe he formed in January of 2010, performing “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.” Last April, Wesley directed his first show professionally, “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-A-Long Blog,” which sold out almost all of its shows every weekend. His last project was “Cannibal: The Musical,” from Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the writers of “South Park” and “The Book of Mormon.” “Cannibal” was written while Parker and Stone were on spring break in college. Brown sees them as the inspiration for his directing.

“Do I idolize them? Yes,” said Brown.

Holly Cole, Wesley’s neighbor and girlfriend, has known him for the past two years, has participated in “Rocky Horror” and was the set designer for “Cannibal.” She first met Brown at a bar in downtown Wilmington, where they bonded over their love of film. They then stayed up all night talking and watching movies they both love. They have been inseparable ever since. “I’m impressed with his ability to be a leader of our group. He’s like the dad,” said Cole.

Brown’s leadership skills are one of the many reasons he has succeeded in life. His hard work and drive to do things well have enabled him to make it through his adversity. The college of his choice didn’t want him. The major he wanted to pursue didn’t accept him. And yet, he was able to achieve the career he wanted since the very beginning. The perseverance he showed truly paid off.

Brown has no plans of changing jobs anytime soon. He looks forward to one day owning a house with a big yard that his Labrador retriever can run in. He wants kids one day, but for now, being a young, hard working 24 year old will suffice.

So what is his advice to a college student, hoping to get that dream job?

“Know what you’re getting yourself into, and know that you’re doing it for the right reasons. If you’re not willing to put in the effort, then it’s not worth it. In the end, what you get out of something is what you put into it,” Brown said.