Out of Darkness walk seeks to eliminate stigma of suicide

Groups gathered at the AFSP walk to remember loved ones who have passed.

Brandon Hill | Contributing Writer

Nearly 1 million people attempt suicide in the U.S. each year; 38,000 of which actually succeed, according to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. This means that 105 Americans take their own lives each day. That’s a suicide every 13.7 minutes. Suicide is the third leading cause of death in the 15-24 age group and the second leading cause of death amongst college students. Suicide is a hard thing to discuss, especially to those who have experience with the subject. 

This stigma is what the Out of Darkness Walk is named after and it is their goal to bring these numbers and shared experiences to light in an attempt to prevent future suicides. 

On Nov. 4, a few hundred people gathered at Wrightsville Beach Park to bring the issue of suicide into the light. Tables were set up with pictures commemorating victims of suicide with their family members trying to help with prevention. The event began with a moment of silence in remembrance of those lost to suicide. 

The goal was to raise money by sponsoring walkers. Participants walked three to five miles from the park all through the Wrightsville Beach area and back, during which drivers honked and waved in support of the walkers, one of which was carrying an Out of Darkness sign.

UNCW student Andrea Kaniuka created the on-campus team for the Out of Darkness Suicide Awareness Walk. Having lost three high school classmates to suicide, Kaniuka felt the need to raise awareness about the issue.

“Suicide should be taken seriously,” Kaniuka said. “Schools need to offer more information and help for students. Otherwise, suicide is likely to be imitated.”

Kaniuka plans on starting an annual walk on campus in the spring. 

This past week’s UNCW team consisted of 22 students and family members who raised $2,200. The Out of Darkness event was put on by the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and the original goal was to raise $25,000. However, by the start of the event, they had raised $41,000. 

Donations for Out of Darkness are being accepted until Dec. 31. For more information about suicide and how to prevent it, check out The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention at afsp.org.