New Club Refreshes Wilmington Nightlife

By Brittany Murdock, Staff Writer

5001 Night Club and Lounge has been open for a few months now, but they’re finally ready to make waves. The club boasts competitive drink specials during college night, convenient location near the University of North Carolina Wilmington campus, and a variety of great DJs.

The club is located on Market Street, less than three miles from UNCW’s campus. 5001 is open on Tuesdays through Saturdays, and caters to patrons 18 and up. They offer a safe environment that is equipped with security, host special events for specific nights, as well as great deals on drinks.

A wide variety of events include shag dancing lessons on Tuesday nights, college night on Thursdays, and Latino night on Fridays, which features salsa dancing and live bands. The club also rents out the venue for private parties or special occasions.

College night consists of a variety of DJs and drink specials that run all night long. During college night, gentlemen are charged a $10 cover and ladies enter for free before 11pm with a valid student ID. After 11pm, ladies are charged a $5 cover.

“I love this club because the people are friendly, the environment is safe and clean, and it has a great dance floor,” said McKayla Martinez, a junior at UNCW. The venue is filled with a variety of dazzling colors, a large and heavily stocked bar, a pool table, a DJ booth, multiple flat screen TVs and projectors, and a large dance floor. Customers can also takea break from dancing and relax in the lounge, take a seat at a table near the dance floor or at the bar.

DJs come from the local and surrounding areas to show off their high-energy performances and various skills. 

Neil “DJ Neili Neil” Flick teams up with Riz “DJ Riz” Ali on Thursday for college night and on weekends. Both DJs contribute to a great night out for patrons and an even better atmosphere.

“I don’t have preplanned sets so I let the music speak for itself,” Flick said. “When people make requests for songs, I am happy to play it if it fits with the format of the vibe.”

Another DJ you can find blending a wide variety of genres on Thursday nights is Andrea “DJ Lady Syren” Marshall.

She has DJed at events for brands like Victoria’s Secret, Gilded Age, and even performed for New York Fashion Week.

“You can expect to hear me mixing house, trap, top 40, hip-op, dancehall, EDM and

more,” Marshall said. “5001Nightclub and Lounge is a beautiful venue with an incredible sound system. It has the potential to become the go-to spot to party.”

Tuesday is a popular night for shag dancing. People of all ages, even UNCW students, make their way over to the club at 7:30pm and pay $6 for a night full of lessons and dancing. Lessons are taught by East Carolina University graduate Brad White.

“I encourage all ages to come out and try it, especially UNCW students,” White said. “I am a patient teacher and I believe in the fundamentals. I also believe young students are the future of this dance.”

Co-owner of the club Eddie Roque is excited to see what the future holds for the 5001 Night Club and Lounge.

“I want people to know that we value having a safe environment but it’s also a place where people can have fun.”

The club will be hosting the official after party for UNCW’s Collegiate Fashion Week Grand Finale on Feb. 19.