Swede music: men’s soccer takes exhibition, 1-0

Brandon Sans, Staff Writer

The Seahawks were out in full force as international heroics and a new entrance allowed fans to exit Monday night’s exhibition against Gardner-Webb happy and hopeful as UNC Wilmington claimed a 1-0 victory.

Head coach Aidan Heaney experimented with his starting lineup, inserting freshman Mark Lindstrom into the fold at center back.

“I’m just trying to fill the role, trying to get better everyday from the coaches and from the team,” said Lindstrom.

UNCW dominated nearly every aspect of the first half, yet was unable to capitalize on its numerous offensive attacks as the score remained knotted at zero.

“We certainly created enough chances and should’ve shown a more killer instinct,” said Heaney.

The Seahawks broke through in the second half. At the 54:00 mark, Lindstrom scored his first goal as a Seahawk.

“It was very special to get the goal in, especially because we didn’t play so well that first half,” said Lindstrom. Fellow Sweden native Joel Bylander assisted Lindstrom’s goal, creating an international connection on the season’s first score.

“I saw it coming from the air and just tried to chip it a little bit,” said Lindstrom.

With the success Lindstrom displayed tonight, it will be interesting for fans to watch where he lines up moving forward.

“I don’t know if the lineup I put out tonight will be the starting lineup a week or two from now,” said Heaney. “There’s a lot of healthy competition.”

UNCW will travel to Winston-Salem on Saturday to wrap up its exhibition season against Wake Forest. Game time is scheduled for 7 p.m.

The Seahawks open their regular season on Aug. 26 at Campbell and do not return to UNCW Soccer Stadium until the UNCW Springhill Suites Classic on Sept. 9.