Jarl nets lone goal for women’s soccer in 2-1 loss to Northeastern

Brandon Sans | Staff Writer | @bsans10

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Less than ideal weather circumstances troubled UNC Wilmington as it dropped Friday’s Colonial Athletic Association match to Northeastern, 2-1.

The Seahawks (6-3-2) remain winless in CAA play with the loss.

“Another classic CAA game. I thought it was always going to be tight,” said UNCW coach Paul Cairney. “I thought Northeastern was the better team.” 

The match started on time despite thunderstorms in the area earlier in the day. It left the playing field a bit watered-down, making things sloppy on both sides.

“Both teams had to play on it,” said Cairney. “The surface wasn’t the best, but we had to get the game in.”

The first half was largely uneventful, except for senior Moa Jarl’s second goal of the year. Her goal tied the game 1-1 going into the half.

Both teams had three shots on goal through the first 45 minutes of play.

Early in the second half, junior Serenity Waters went for the breakaway when Northeastern’s Skylar LeBlanc pulled on the back of Waters’s jersey in order to prevent the open goal. She was red-carded for the foul and subsequently ejected from the match.

Down a man, Northeastern junior Kayla Cappuzzo booted in her fourth goal of the year in an odd sequence of events.

Cappuzzo’s goal counted as the Northeastern fan base erupted in applause. However, Seahawk fans were the ones cheering when an official called Northeastern for offside penalty.

When the officials huddled, Northeastern was again cheering as the goal counted once more. The Huskies (7-5-1) led 2-1.

With 30 seconds remaining, it appeared UNCW scored the equalizer, but an offside call proved the effort fruitless.

“The line judge was right there and we’ve just got to respect the officials,” said Cairney. 

UNCW closes out the weekend when it takes on Hofstra this Sunday at UNCW Soccer Stadium. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.