• caption

News

Ann Marie Pierce: Wilmington local who took her love of running all the way to the Olympic Trials

•  Protestors oppose tolls at the WMPO Board Meeting. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

Wilmington locals outraged at Cape Fear Memorial Bridge toll meeting

• Maides Cemetery sign from the Historic Wilmington Foundation. (Sarah Carter/The Seahawk)

News

Ground Penetrating Radar used at Maides Cemetery to locate unmarked graves

• Platos Lofts at Randall sign. (Grace Lanham/The Seahawk)

News

UNCW to lease off-campus apartments to accommodate increasing acceptance rates

• Coach Wade high fives and greets several players. (UNCW Athletic Department)

Sports

Interview with Head Coach Ashley Wade and infielder Mary Sobataka

•  Anti-gun violence march in Washington, D.C. (Chip Vincent/Unsplash)

Opinion

OP-ED: We will not wait for the next school shooting

• Design by Nate Mauldin (Background: Adobe Stock)

Opinion

Letter from the Editor: 75 years of student reporting

• (Background:Adobe Stock)

Culture

The Seahawk’s staff picks of 2023

• A map of emergency callboxes on campus. (UNCW) [hyperlink: https://uncw.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=579a0e90030c4864a41c70fbe06338d9 ]

New encrypted technology is allowing sexual assault survivors to anonymously report perpetrators

• From left, doctors Michael Tift, Allison Loftis and Tiffany Keenan of UNCW’s Marine Mammal Stranding Program.

News

Gervais’ beaked whale stranded with balloon in stomach

UNCW faced Western Carolina in “Seahawk Tomorrow” game

Kylah Silver dribbles past her defender towards the basket (UNCW Athletic Department)

On Nov. 16, the UNCW Women’s Basketball team played the Western Carolina Catamounts in an out-of-conference matchup for their “Seahawk Tomorrow” game. UNCW comes in at a 1-1 record, while WCU brings  a 1-2 record.  There were 1,800 students in attendance from 14 schools and six counties in total.  

The Seahawks held the advantage 16-10 through the first quarter. Evan Miller, senior guard made a three-point attempt on the first offensive possession of the game, which electrified the crowd of students. Students of all ages filled the stands. The game remained close throughout most of the game, but after halftime, the score shifted. The Seahawks offense scored 11 points on 4/12 in the 3rd quarter. The 4th quarter was similar for the Seahawks, who scored 5 points on 2/15 including 0/5 from three.  

The final score of the game was 54-43, with Western Carolina coming away with the victory. The total attendance of the game was 3,370 people. Freshman guard, Kylah Silver, led the way for the Seahawks, scoring 9 points on 4-12 shooting, 1-2 from three. Guards, McCall King and Britany Range made two three -pointers each.  

This game would bring UNCW’s record to 1-2, and WCU to 2-2. UNCW’s next game will be on Dec. 3 against Iowa State, in Ames, Iowa