•  Protestors oppose tolls at the WMPO Board Meeting. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

Wilmington locals outraged at Cape Fear Memorial Bridge toll meeting

• Maides Cemetery sign from the Historic Wilmington Foundation. (Sarah Carter/The Seahawk)

News

Ground Penetrating Radar used at Maides Cemetery to locate unmarked graves

• Platos Lofts at Randall sign. (Grace Lanham/The Seahawk)

News

UNCW to lease off-campus apartments to accommodate increasing acceptance rates

• Coach Wade high fives and greets several players. (UNCW Athletic Department)

Sports

Interview with Head Coach Ashley Wade and infielder Mary Sobataka

•  Anti-gun violence march in Washington, D.C. (Chip Vincent/Unsplash)

Opinion

OP-ED: We will not wait for the next school shooting

• Design by Nate Mauldin (Background: Adobe Stock)

Opinion

Letter from the Editor: 75 years of student reporting

• (Background:Adobe Stock)

Culture

The Seahawk’s staff picks of 2023

• A map of emergency callboxes on campus. (UNCW) [hyperlink: https://uncw.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=579a0e90030c4864a41c70fbe06338d9 ]

New encrypted technology is allowing sexual assault survivors to anonymously report perpetrators

• From left, doctors Michael Tift, Allison Loftis and Tiffany Keenan of UNCW’s Marine Mammal Stranding Program.

News

Gervais’ beaked whale stranded with balloon in stomach

• A protestor outside the Board of Education Center holds a copy of “Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You during the school boards Aug. 1 meeting.

News

After the removal of ‘Stamped,’ what’s next for the New Hanover County School Board?

Feasting at the 15th annual Wagsgiving

Outside of Wagoner Hall as students approach for Wagsgiving. (Samantha Hill/The Seahawk)

Students gathered Thursday, Nov. 16, at Wagoner Dining Hall to celebrate the 15th annual Wagsgiving.

Wagsgiving is celebrated every fall semester with Thanksgiving themed dishes. Students gather in front of Wagoner Dining Hall to sip warm apple cider and eat popcorn. Live music was performed while students danced and sang. Free Wagsgiving t-shirts were handed out to students after the completion of a survey.

Inside of the dining hall, there is a hustle and bustle of students waiting to enter to feast among the dishes. Friendship bracelets were being made in celebration of the event along with a table of written gratitude of what they were thankful for.

Kyndall Floyd, excited about attending Wagsgivng, explains how she looks forward to this event every year.

“The food and the people are my favorite,” she said, talking about her love for Thanksgiving.

Inside of Wagoner hall as students gather to feast together. (Samantha Hill/The Seahawk)

As students shuffled in, anticipation and excitement started to rise. Alyssa Thomas explained how Wagsgiving was a fun experience with different activities.

“There’s a lot of people,” said Thomas. “It’s hectic.”

Thomas explains how Wagsgiving last year was similar to this year.

“It was fun last year. I liked how there was face paint and we could take pictures,” said Thomas.

Ethan Tyndall explains how they are excited to be at Wagsgiving as it was their first time attending. “I really didn’t know what to expect,” Tyndall said, describing the event.

Long lines of students wrapped the inside of the hall to be served their food. The menu this year included oven roasted turkey, smoked ham, green beans, mashed potatoes, corn, stuffing, cranberry sauce, turkey tofu and rolls. All stations at Wagoner Hall served the same dishes.

Dining staff serve students food inside of Wagoner Hall. (Samantha Hill/The Seahawk)

Kamron Henry talks about the food while waiting in line for his serving.

“I am disappointed that they are not serving mac and cheese,” said Henry. “It is my favorite dish to have at Thanksgiving.”

While the foods are classic staples that can be found on dinner tables all across America, desserts always follow a savory meal. Tables filled with pumpkin pie, apple pie and brownies were served to students.

Wagsgiving is a UNCW tradition that will be continued to be celebrated throughout the years. This event allows for friends to gather and enjoy one another’s company.