• caption

News

Ann Marie Pierce: Wilmington local who took her love of running all the way to the Olympic Trials

•  Protestors oppose tolls at the WMPO Board Meeting. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

Wilmington locals outraged at Cape Fear Memorial Bridge toll meeting

• Maides Cemetery sign from the Historic Wilmington Foundation. (Sarah Carter/The Seahawk)

News

Ground Penetrating Radar used at Maides Cemetery to locate unmarked graves

• Platos Lofts at Randall sign. (Grace Lanham/The Seahawk)

News

UNCW to lease off-campus apartments to accommodate increasing acceptance rates

• Coach Wade high fives and greets several players. (UNCW Athletic Department)

Sports

Interview with Head Coach Ashley Wade and infielder Mary Sobataka

•  Anti-gun violence march in Washington, D.C. (Chip Vincent/Unsplash)

Opinion

OP-ED: We will not wait for the next school shooting

• Design by Nate Mauldin (Background: Adobe Stock)

Opinion

Letter from the Editor: 75 years of student reporting

• (Background:Adobe Stock)

Culture

The Seahawk’s staff picks of 2023

• A map of emergency callboxes on campus. (UNCW) [hyperlink: https://uncw.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=579a0e90030c4864a41c70fbe06338d9 ]

New encrypted technology is allowing sexual assault survivors to anonymously report perpetrators

• From left, doctors Michael Tift, Allison Loftis and Tiffany Keenan of UNCW’s Marine Mammal Stranding Program.

News

Gervais’ beaked whale stranded with balloon in stomach

A letter from the Editor

A retouched, full-size picture of Volume 1, No. 1 of The Seahawk. The Seahawk was founded in 1948, one year after UNCW was first established.

Dear campus community,

New year, new Seahawk. I would like to welcome and welcome back all of our new and returning students to UNCW, especially as The Seahawk celebrates its 75th anniversary in September. The Seahawk traces its origins back to 1948 and is the longest running student publication on campus, and one of the two longest running student organizations, alongside the SGA. We are entering this year with a full editorial board, new and exciting content and many plans to celebrate this momentous milestone with all of you.

Looking for an introduction to this year’s UNCW athletics? Head over to our Sports section for our new section editor, Ryan Wiener’s preview on everything from baseball to women’s golf. Interested in learning more about student loan debt? Our new opinion editor, Jonah Seretti, has just the article for you. We’re planning a trip to Atlanta for MediaFest 2023 and a collaboration with UNC Chapel Hill’s The Daily Tarheel, as well as other UNC system student newspapers. I can’t wait to get this semester started.

As I begin my final semester in the position of editor-in-chief, I am also excited to share our shift in leadership. This year, for the first time, our newspaper will have two editors-in-chief: I, and our former news editor, Amelia Lindsey. We are both honored and ready to get to work providing our student and campus community with the news, culture, sports and opinion information that you need to know.

Thank you to our staff for making The Seahawk possible and helping our ideas come to life. We couldn’t have gotten here without all of your creativity, talent and hard work.

Finally, to our readers, thank you for your continued support. We invite you to participate and join us in celebrating our 75th year. Send us news leads, letters to the Editor at [email protected] and feedback. We hope you enjoy reading The Seahawk as much as we do making it.

Best,

Hannah Markov