Events Calendar: October 18-24

Kiley Woods, Staff Writer

Looking for something to do this week? The Seahawk has rounded up events at UNCW and in the Wilmington community so you can start making plans.

Monday, Oct. 18

Open Mic Night at Barzarre

Barzarre in Wilmington Presents their weekly open mic night. Musicians and comedians of all ages can perform in front of a live audience.

2nd Annual Pumpkin Carving Party

Brewer’s Kettle in Wilmington, NC, presents the 2nd Annual Pumpkin Carving Party with gift card prizes for Top 3 pumpkins. The party begins at 5 p.m. and there is no cost for admission.

Cinematique Film Series: “The Velvet Underground”

The Cinematique Film Series at Thalian Hall in downtown Wilmington, NC, presents a screening of “The Velvet Underground,” a documentary exploring the events that occurred to bring together one of the most influential bands in rock and roll history. Showtimes: Monday and Tuesday, at 7pm; Wednesday, at 4 and 7pm. Tickets cost $9.63.

Front Porch Forum on Gender Justice

Join the Gender Studies and Research Center at Frankie’s Outdoor Market. The event will begin at 11:00 a.m. Free stuff and free food will be available onsite.

Tuesday, Oct. 19

Swim Clinic

Campus Recreation is holding a swim clinic at the student recreation center. Go to the indoor pool to receive instruction on your swimming strokes, water safety, and more. The event begins at 5:00 p.m.

Wednesday, Oct. 20

Cape Fear Museum: The Physics and Magic of a Surfboard

Hear UNCW’s Dr. Dylan McNamara at the End of Days Distillery in Wilmington. He will discuss the physics behind the way that surfboards work. The event begins at 6:00 p.m. and there is no cost for admission.

Live Music: Into the Fog

Performing at the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot this string band from Raleigh features a combination of musical genres such as bluegrass, rock, and country. The music will begin at 10:00 p.m.

Keeping it Reel Documentary Series: The True Cost

Join UNCW sustainability for a screening and moderated discussion of the documentary “The True Cost!” The showing will take place in Lumina Theatre at 7:00 p.m.

Thursday, Oct. 21

Big Dawg Theatre: Let the Right One In (Play)

The production features a vampire myth and coming-of-age love story adapted from the best-selling novel and award-winning film. It follows Oskar, a bullied teenage boy living with his mother on a housing estate at the edge of town when a slew of killings come to the neighborhood. The performance begins at 7:30 p.m. and tickets cost $32.10.

Emotionally Intelligent Leadership Workshop

Breaking Through the Glass Ceiling: Deconstructing Gender Bias in Our Working Relationships. The Office of Student Leadership and Engagement presents a place to learn about and gain resources to develop and grow your emotional intelligence specifically in a professional setting. They will meet on zoom at 12:30 p.m.

Friday, Oct. 22

Carolina Beach Mural #7 Artist Meet and Greet

The Carolina Beach Mural Project celebrates Mural #7 with an Artist Meet & Greet with Tiffany Machler, whose work, “Indigenous Fly Feaster”, adorns Kate’s Pancake House. Admission fee includes a choice of dinner, two drink tickets, dessert, and the opportunity to meet the Carolina Beach artist known as “Nugget.” Tickets cost $32-$40 and the event begins at 6:00 p.m.

Fit Fest

UNCW’s student recreation center presents Fit Fest. Today’s challenge is a powerlifting competition. The event goes from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 23

Riverfront Farmer’s Market

The Riverfront Farmers’ Market meets on Dock Street from 2nd to Water Street. The market features goods from local farmers, produce, arts and crafts, music and more. The market opens at 8:00 a.m. and there is no charge for admission.

Sunday, Oct. 24

UNCW Women’s Soccer

The UNCW Women’s soccer team will play Delaware at the soccer stadium on UNCW’s campus. The game begins at 12:00 p.m. and the cost for admission is $3-$8.