Events Calendar: September 6-12

Kiley Woods, Contributing Writer

Looking for something to do this week? The Seahawk has rounded up events at UNCW and in the Wilmington community so you can start making plans.

Monday, Sept. 6 

Wrightsville Beach Farmers Market  

Come enjoy an ocean of colorful locally grown fruits and vegetables to enjoy for breakfast or at night for dinner. Continuing every Monday until December 13 from 8 a.m. to–1 p.m.The market is located on the Wrightsville Beach municipal grounds.  

Photography Exhibit: A World of Aging 

This exhibit explores the international idea of aging in hopes of beginning a discussion about how time moves through a person’s life and defining time based on aging. A series of photographs by Jeffrey M. Levine will be on display in Veterans Hall. The exhibit begins at 7:30 a.m. on Monday.  

Classic Movie: A Star is Born (1954) 

Thalian Hall presents the original film. See where Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper got their names for the 2018 remake by going back in time to a simpler age of love, hardships and triumphs. Admission costs $11.77 and there is a show at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.  

Tuesday, Sept. 7 

“The Price is Right”: Live 

Ever wanted to be on a game show, now is your chance to witness the famous show The Price is Right in action right in front of you. Located at the Wilson Center and running two nights in a row at 7:30 p.m. If you’d like to be a contestant, click this link.

Wednesday, September 8 

ACE Finish the Lyric  

Do you know all the songs? More importantly, do you know the lyrics to the songs? Come see if you do. Join your friends and fellow students as they guess the rest of a given song lyric. Join the Zoom call at 7 p.m. through this link. 

Thursday, September 9  

ACE Icies and Puppies Grab n’ Go  

Come grab an icie and visit some puppies in the amphitheater on campus from 11:30 to 1:30 p.m.

The Funny Funny-One Show 

The Hop Yard bar presents a night of comedy. See the recent class of comedians from DareDevil Improv in their very first show as well as established local comedians. Admission is free and the show runs from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.  

Jazz at the Mansion: Summer Lee and Friends  

Jazz music will fill the halls of the historic Bellamy Mansion which holds so many stories of Wilmington history. Proceeds from the concert will support the Bellamy Mansion Museum, the Cape Fear Jazz Society and the musicians. There are no early ticket sales but the gates open at 6 p.m.  

Friday, September 10 

Black Women’s Association Bake Sale 

Come grab a treat on the way to class for some extra energy or a sweet tooth. Set up outside Randall Library, this will be a grab-and-go event. They will be accepting cash app payments and you can pre-order your treats at the link in their Instagram bio. The event runs from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m.  

UNCWeekends Arcade Night 

For a relaxing break from classes, join UNCWeekends for Arcade Night at Jungle Rapids. Enjoy mini-golf, rock climbing, gaming and other activities. RSVP on the CORQ app or Wavelink. Each ticket costs $5 but there is a limited number. The event begins at 10 p.m. and ends at 11:30 p.m.  

Standup Comedy with Ben Roy  

The Dead Crow Comedy Room presents Ben Roy, who has been compared to well-known comedians Lewis Black and Bill Hicks. Admissions are $18-$28 and there is a show at 7 and 9:30 p.m. 

Art Exhibit: The Wonder of Water 

Explore what is beneath the surface. Artist Ann Parks McCray explores light, the intricacies of water, prisms and color reflections. Located at the New Elements Gallery in downtown Wilmington. Admissions are free and the gallery is open from noon to 5 p.m.  

Saturday, September 11 

Movies at the Lake: Mulan (2020) 

If you missed the live-action Mulan movie, here is your chance to see it at an outdoor movie night. There is no charge for admission and the film begins at dusk located at Carolina Beach Lake Park. 

Dirty Dancing Party  

Located at the Ironclad Brewery in Wilmington, join music groups like the Beehive Blondes and The Sway- Z-Brothers in this 80s classic themed night. Come be like Johnny and Baby in their performance of “I’ve Had the Time of My Life.” Admissions cost between $25 and $150 and the event begins at 8 p.m.  

Sunday, September 12 

Oktoberfest 

Come celebrate the classic German festival that marks the beginning of fall. Hosted by Hi-Wire Brewing in Wilmington enjoy games such as the brat toss, yodeling, grain sack toss, and many others. Hear music played by The Little German Band and Dancers. Admissions are free and the activities begin at 12 p.m.  

Women’s Soccer Game  

Support UNCW’s Lady Seahawks in their game against the Charlotte 49ers in the UNCW soccer stadium. The game begins at 4 p.m.