Student Media Center to move to new location

Veronica Wernicke, News Editor

In light of several Institutional Diversity & Inclusion (OIDI) offices being renovated for larger spaces, the Student Media Center (SMC) will be getting a new space as well. 

Currently, the SMC is located on the bottom floor of the Fisher University Union in Room 1049, next to the P.O.D Market, and houses The Seahawk, TealTV, Atlantis and the Flicker Film Society. 

However, since Centro Hispano will be taking over that space, the SMC will be relocating to the Fisher Student Center 217/219 which is currently the Wrightsville Beach and Topsail Island rooms. The wall between the two rooms will be torn down to create a more open space. 

This plan moves the SMC from separate offices compiled in a 2,198 square-foot space to a more open floor plan of 1,189 square-foot space. Priorities for the space include state-of-the-art technology and extra storage space which will be located in a downstairs area of the FSC. 

The new space will also include a sound studio, advisor office, editing lab, open print media workspace/seating and an open lounge/information hub area. 

“I hope for a more social space for all the student media orgs to collaborate and foster new connections. We are planning to have “labs” rather than separate offices for each org, which will help us produce more diverse content and collaborate with people we otherwise wouldn’t,” wrote Hannah Creech, president of TealTV. “I am especially excited to be getting new editing computers. As lead editor, we struggle so much with the current computer we have, so the upgrade to more than one Mac is going to be amazing.”

Other plans include creating a 20 to 25 person conference room in Warwick 102, a student organization hub for student groups to meet in Sharky’s (getting rid of the game room and box office) and renovating the Campus Activities & Involvement Center (CAIC) offices. 

However, according to Larry Wray, executive director of Campus Life, the priority is on the OIDI and SMC projects. 

Construction and renovations are slated to begin soon and hopefully be finished in time for the fall 2021 semester alongside the completion of the OIDI renovations.

“I’m looking forward to student media working together and sharing a communal space. I hope this will encourage more collaborations between UNCW publications in the future,” wrote Sidney Wollmuth. “I’m also excited to have a fresh start physically as I step into the role of editor-in-chief.”