Reshuffling and renovations for diversity resource centers coming before fall semester

Kaylin Damico

The cultural center.

Andrew Lemon, Assistant News Editor

At their March 30 meeting, UNC Wilmington’s (UNCW) Student Government Association announced that several office spaces in Fisher University Union will be undergoing changes before the fall of 2021.

The Upperman African American Cultural Center is expanding its current location on the Union’s second floor to encompass the space directly across the hall from where it sits now, which is currently occupied by Centro Hispano.

In turn, Centro Hispano will be moving downstairs to inhabit the space that currently houses the Student Media Center, a much larger office space than was previously held by UNCW’s LatinX student center.

The new location for the Student Media Center has not yet been decided, but it has been said that student media is exploring other options in the Campus Life facilities.

Additionally, the Asian Student Association (ASA) has been working on a proposal for an on-campus office much like Centro Hispano and the Upperman Center. Director of diversity and inclusion Brianna Ramirez recently met with interim Chief Diversity Officer Donyell Roseboro regarding the creation of an Asian Student Resource Center.

“The biggest obstacle they have is reallocating the space in Fisher University Union,” said Tatyana Williams, Ramirez’s vice-chair. “There are some offices that do not need to be in the Union, but they need to figure out where to move those offices first before dedicating resources to a new resource center.”

Renovations and relocations of current office spaces are set to be finished in June of this year, meaning they will be ready for the return of students to campus two months later.