UNCW partners with search firm to find new chief diversity officer

Amanda Leahey, Contributing Writer

In a statement sent to The Seahawk, Donyell Roseboro, the interim chief diversity officer, elaborated on the beginning steps and timeline for the finding and hiring process for the permanent chief diversity officer at UNC Wilmington (UNCW).  

Roseboro has been serving as the interim officer since June following Kent Guion’s decision to step down and rejoin the college of health and human services (CHHS) faculty. 

The initial announcement was made during a student government association (SGA) meeting on March 30.  

According to the statement, the UNCW human resources office has coordinated efforts with Academic Search, a search firm that focuses on partnering with universities, to help find a permanent chief diversity officer 

The firm will work alongside a search committee to review and interview candidates. Additionally, Academic Search will meet with groups of students, faculty and staff to garner information and curate a position description. 

Information about the firm and updates regarding the search process will be found on a webpage that will soon be publishedThe office of university relations (OUR) will assist with building the webpage.   

Roseboro and Eddie Stuart, the vice chancellor for university advancement, are set to co-chair the search committee. Among the members of the committee will be the newly elected SGA presidentRobby Fensomwho agreed to serve alongside staff and faculty.  

According to a previous statement from the SGA’s diversity and inclusion director and vice-chairman, Brianna Ramirez and Tatyana Williams, Roseboro is advocating for more student input throughout the process. With the plan for groups of students to meet with the search firm, student input will be seen throughout the process. 

Roseboro and Stuart hope to have a new chief diversity officer by early July.