UNCW’s search for new chief diversity officer begins

Amanda Leahey, Contributing Writer

During the Student Government Association’s (SGA) meeting on March 30, it was announced that the search for UNC Wilmington’s (UNCW) permanent chief diversity officer has begun.  

Donyell Roseboro, a professor in the Department of Instructional Technology, Foundations and Secondary Education, is currently serving as the interim chief diversity officer for the office of institutional diversity and inclusion.  

Since Roseboro assumed the position on June 20, 2020, she has held multiple student forums as well as meetings with campus leadership and student leaders to discuss diversity, equity and inclusion. Among her more notable accomplishments as interim chief diversity officer was the commissioning of a sculpture to commemorate Wilmington’s racial history. 

Additionally, the office of institutional diversity and inclusion, along with the office of university relations, recently released a website featuring resources and stories of students, faculty and members in our community.  

According to Brianna Ramirez, SGA’s diversity and inclusion director, and Tatyana Williams, Ramirez’s vice-chairman, Roseboro is heavily advocating for student input and representation on the search committee for the new chief diversity officer.  

The Seahawk reached out to Roseboro for a statement but had not heard back by publication. This is an ongoing story that The Seahawk will continue to update.