The atmosphere of Brooks Field on Wednesday night

Zachary Kilby

Hunter Hodges after striking out an ECU batter during UNCW’s matchup with the Pirates on Mar. 17, 2021.

Zachary Kilby, Sports Editor

WILMINGTON, North Carolina – After walking in the gate, you smell the concession stand, see the players, hear the crowd, and can almost taste the sweet victory that is only nine innings away.

Brooks Field delivered big time on Wednesday night as the No. 7 ECU Pirates came into town to take on the Seahawks in what would end up being a lopsided 10-2 win for UNCW.

Ticket sales came to a screeching halt more than 24 hours before game time due to the anticipation and hype that surrounded the matchup between the two in-state rivals.

The Pirates came into the Port City seeking revenge after a Matt Suggs walk-off home run in the bottom of the ninth made the two-hour drive back to Greenville feel that much longer.

Fans filled every single available seat inside of Brooks Field on Wednesday night, along with a couple of dozen covering Home Run Hill in left field. There were even a few who decided to climb the trees outside of Galloway residence hall to get a peek at the action.

Every single scout from all over the country seemed to be behind home plate. Radar guns, video cameras, notebooks, and even beef jerky were common items being used to gauge the action. All of which were put to good use when UNCW’s Adam Smith made an appearance in the ninth inning to seal the deal for the Hawks. The redshirt sophomore has a fastball unlike any other, along with a nasty breaking ball that seems to be drawing a lot of attention from the professional level.

Security even made an appearance after heckling fans went too far in questioning ECU’s coaching decisions early on in the game. A mix of finger-pointing, name-calling, and a little touch of Miller Lite, forced UNCW’s Director of Athletics Jimmy Bass and company to remove the gentleman from the crowd.

If you were fortunate enough to attend Wednesday’s showdown, you were a part of much more than a baseball game. Brooks Field served as a venue where baseball fans, friends, and family members could finally come together after being apart for so long. The game just added to the fun.