Lady Hawks’ season ends with loss to Delaware

Morgan Starling, Staff Writer

ELON, N.C.  The UNC Wilmington (UNCW) women’s basketball (7-14) season ended Thursday afternoon in the Schar Center with a 70-52 loss to the Delaware Blue Hens (20-3) in the quarterfinals of the CAA tournament. 

Despite the Seahawks shooting better from the field and from behind the arc, it was not enough to upset the Blue Hens to advance to the semifinals. UNCW shot 43.2% from the field and 28.6% from behind the arc, while Delaware shot 34.7% from the field and 25% from three. The game was tight all the way through, the Seahawks even leading by six in the third, but the Blue Hens went on a 28-7 run to secure the victory.  

Delaware was led by junior guard/forward Jasmine Dickey, the CAA player of the year, with 19 points and 13 rebounds, and junior guard Jewel Smalls, also with 19 points. Freshman guard Tyi Skinner put up 12 points and redshirt junior forward Ty Battle chipped in 10 points and grabbed 13 rebounds.  

Senior forward Carol-Anne Obusek closed out her final game as a Seahawk with 18 points and five rebounds, her 13th consecutive game in double figures. Redshirt junior guard Dazia Powell put up nine points, and freshman guard Taylor Webster chipped in seven points and seven rebounds. 

UNCW finishes the season 7-14 overall, and 3-10 in the conference.