Student employees now eligible for COVID-19 vaccines

Veronica Wernicke, News Editor

UNC Wilmington (UNCW) student employees are now eligible to receive the coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine. 

In an email obtained by The Seahawk, it was relayed that under Group 3, student employees who receive a paycheck and work in-person and on-campus are now eligible to receive their COVID-19 vaccine.

North Carolina is currently vaccinating those in Groups 1, 2 and 3. These groups include adults 65+ and health care, long-term facility and essential frontline workers. The state plans to move into Group 4, adults at higher risk of contracting COVID-19, starting March 24.  

The university plans to assist in vaccination efforts by the end of the month through their on-campus clinic. The clinic will be located in the Burney Center and specific details regarding the official opening date and which vaccine will be offered are still in the works. Initially, the clinic will only be open to UNCW students, faculty and staff. 

This announcement comes as North Carolina recently reached the milestone of vaccinating 1.1 million residents, roughly 10.6% of the state’s population. To find your vaccination spot and what group you fall under, visit the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services’ website.