UNCW to open a vaccine clinic soon

Veronica Wernicke, News Editor

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available. Check back for updates. This story was updated on March 23 to reflect more information sent out by the university. 

UNC Wilmington will soon serve as a coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine clinic, per an announcement from Chancellor Jose V. Sartarelli. 

By the end of the month, UNCW’s Burney Center will serve as a by appointment only clinic for the UNCW community to receive their COVID-19 vaccines. A date has not been finalized and is dependent on the availability of vaccines. Their services may expand beyond the campus community, but at this time it is unclear. 

Once the clinic opens, the Student Health Center will be notified each week if they will receive vaccines. If and when UNCW receives a shipment, the university will send out emails (“UNCW COVID Vaccine Registration Now Open”) detailing how many and what vaccine they received. Registration is required beforehand and the UNCW community can sign up through the provided SignUp Genius link.

Missed appointments will not be rescheduled and the email urged punctuality. Additionally, people will receive vaccination cards and must wait 15 minutes after receiving their vaccine before leaving.

“The Student Health Center staff will manage the clinic in compliance with NCDHHS guidelines, which are currently focused on serving individuals in Group 3. As previously shared, vaccinations for all segments of Group 3 (Frontline and Essential Workers) opened on March 3. Group 3 includes university instructional and support staff who are “in-person at their place of work” as stated in the announcement.

Per the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS), people in Group 4 are expected to start receiving their vaccines starting March 24. 

Group 4 includes adults at a high or increased risk of contracting COVID-19. The second half of Group 4 also includes students living in congregated settings such as dorms. 

More information about Group 4 and others can be found here.