Lady Hawks advance to CAA quarterfinals

Morgan Starling, Staff Writer

ELON, North Carolina – UNCW women’s basketball (7-13) beat the College of Charleston Cougars (6-9) 60-47 Wednesday afternoon in the Schar Center to advance to the quarterfinals of the Colonial Athletic Association tournament.  

This was UNCW’s fourth win in their last five games.  

The Seahawks scored the first five points of the game, and never trailedAlthough they struggled from behind the arc at only 14.3%, their field goal shooting nearly doubled that of the Cougars. Charleston only shot 23.9% from the field, while UNCW shot 41.5%. UNCW also outrebounded Charleston at a margin of 52-36, the most rebounds in a CAA tournament game in program history. 

Freshman guard Taylor Webster led the Seahawks in the victory, with 17 points and 13 rebounds, while senior forward Carol-Anne Obusek put up her twelfth double-double of the season with 11 points and 12 rebounds. Redshirt junior guard Dazia Powell also showed up big for the Seahawks with 14 points and nine rebounds. Junior guard Za’Nautica Downs chipped in seven points. 

The Cougars leading scorers were freshman guard/forward Amira Williams who scored 11 points and grabbed six rebounds, and freshman guard Chelsea Wooten with nine points and five rebounds. Junior forward Arynn Eady scored eight points and grabbed six rebounds, while junior guard Tyler Collins scored seven.   

UNCW will look to continue their hot streak in the quarterfinals of the CAA tournament on Thursday, March 11, against Delaware at 2:30 p.m.