Lady Hawks split series with Towson

Morgan Starling, Staff Writer

WILMINGTON, North Carolina – UNCW women’s basketball (6-13) went 1-1 in their home series against Towson (13-8) to close out the regular season in Trask Coliseum. The Lady Hawks fell to the Tigers on Thursday, 77-66, but were able to grab the victory on senior night in Friday’s game two, 75-65.    

The Tigers outshot UNCW on Thursday, shooting 44.9% from the field to the Seahawks’ 33.3%, and 20% from behind the arc, to UNCW’s 13.6%.  

Redshirt senior guard Kionna Jeter led the Tigers with an impressive 30 points, six rebounds and four assists. Junior guard Skye Williams scored 15 points, and senior center LaKaitlin Wright scored 10. Junior guard Shavonne Smith chipped in seven points and eight rebounds.  

The Seahawks were led by senior forward Carol-Anne Obusek, who had a career-high 23 points and 18 rebounds, marking her tenth double-double of the season, and tenth consecutive game in double figures. Junior guard Camille Downs scored 11 points for the Seahawks, with freshman guard Taylor Webster scoring nine points and grabbing eight rebounds. Junior guard Za’Nautica Downs and sophomore forward Nya Mitchels each chipped in eight points.  

Obusek also matched her career-high in blocked shots with five, putting her at ninth in program history.  

Friday’s contest went much better for the Seahawks as they scored 29 points in the second quarter to give them a lead they never relinquished. Shooting was explosive for the Seahawks, shooting 51.9% from the field and 50% from behind the arc. The Tigers struggled at 34.7% from the field and 21.7% from three. 

Obusek once again put up 23 points and grabbed 12 rebounds, entering the CAA tournament second in the league in double doubles with 11. Za’Nautica Downs had a much better game with 20 points, and freshman guard Mary McMillan scored 11. Webster chipped in nine points and 13 rebounds.  

The Lady Hawks also outrebounded Towson, the eighth time this season they’ve outrebounded their opponent.  

The Tigers were led by Jeter with 19 points and eight rebounds, Williams with 13 points, and freshman forward Allie Kubek with 10 points and nine rebounds.  

UNCW will play in the first round of the CAA tournament against College of Charleston on Wednesday March 10, at Elon University’s Schar Center, tip off at 2:30 p.m.