Huskies sweep Seahawks

Morgan Starling, Staff Writer

WILMINGTON, North Carolina – UNCW women’s basketball (3-12) has continued to struggle as they lost their tenth straight game to Northeastern (6-11) 78-58 Sunday afternoon in Trask Coliseum.

The Huskies started strong with a 23-12 first quarter, giving them a lead they never relinquished, with the Seahawks staying just out of reach for the entirety of the game. While the Seahawks shot 36.5% from the field and 31.6% from behind the arc, the Huskies shot much better at 44.4% from the field and an impressive 52% from three, making 13 of their 25 attempts.

Senior guard Stella Clark had more than a third of Northeastern’s points with 28. She also chipped in nine assists. Sophomore forward Mide Oriyomi also showed up big for the Huskies with 19 points and 12 rebounds, while freshman guard Maddie Vizza contributed 12 points. Graduate student forward Ayanna Dublin chipped in seven points and seven rebounds.

Despite the loss, UNCW did once again commit fewer fouls than their opponent, something they have done in nearly every game this season.

Senior forward Carol-Anne Obusek led the Seahawks once again, with 16 points and 10 rebounds, her seventh straight game in double figures. Freshman guard Taylor Webster also had a successful showing with 13 points and seven rebounds, while junior guard Za’Nautica Downs contributed 11 points and five rebounds, her ninth straight double-digit scoring effort.

UNCW will travel to Charleston, South Carolina on Friday, Feb. 26 to take on the College of Charleston Cougars (6-6), tip off at 7 p.m. The Seahawks will then travel back to Wilmington with the Cougars in tow to play game two of the series on Sunday, Feb. 28 in Trask Coliseum at 1 p.m.