Lady Hawks can’t end drought with series loss to Hofstra

Morgan Starling, Contributing Writer

HEMPSTEAD, New York – UNCW (3-9) failed to break their seven-game losing streak Sunday afternoon with a 59-48 loss to Hofstra (6-10) in game two of the weekend series.

The Lady Hawks entered into halftime with a one-point deficit but were unable to make a run in the second half as the Pride stayed just ahead for the remainder of the game. Although scoring was low on both sides of the court, Hofstra shot 41.7% from the field with UNCW only shooting 31%, which was enough to allow the Pride to once again dominate in the paint and snag the victory.

Junior guard JaKayla Brown had another explosive performance for the Pride scoring 22 points and grabbing four rebounds. Redshirt junior forward Jaylen Hines and junior guard Jahsyni Knight both added 12 points to the contest with six and five rebounds. Knight also stole the ball five times. Freshman center Zyheima Swint chipped in five points and 11 rebounds.

For the first time this season, UNCW did not commit fewer personal fouls than their opponent, as each team committed 19.

Freshman guard Mary McMillan led the Seahawks in this one with 14 points and four assists. Redshirt junior guard Dazia Powell scored 13 points while senior forward Carol Anne-Obusek scored 13 points and 11 rebounds, her fifth double-double of the season, and third consecutive game in double figures. Freshman guard Taylor Webster chipped in six points and seven rebounds, while sophomore forward Nya Mitchels got the start in UNCW’s seventh starting lineup this season and added two points and six rebounds.

UNCW will return home next weekend for the first time in almost a month, to play a two-game series with Elon (7-5) on Feb. 6 and 7 with tips set for 1 p.m. in Trask Coliseum.