Lady Hawks fall to Delaware in game one of series

Lacey+Suggs+%2813%29+during+UNCWs+contest+against+Delaware+in+Trask+Coliseum+on+Feb.+24%2C+2019.+

Noah Powers/The Seahawk

Lacey Suggs (13) during UNCW’s contest against Delaware in Trask Coliseum on Feb. 24, 2019.

Morgan Starling, Contributing Writer

NEWARK, Delaware – UNCW (3-6) fell to the Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens (10-1) 73-66 Saturday afternoon in the Bob Carpenter Center. The loss followed a twenty-day break for the Lady Hawks after COVID-19 virus related issues postponed both the James Madison and Towson series.

Although the score was close at the half, UNCW down 32-29, and despite a 27-point fourth quarter, the Blue Hens scored the first 12 points of the second half to pull ahead and snag the victory at home. The Lady Hawks shot better from the field at 40% over the Blue Hens’ 36%, but Delaware shot 31% from behind the arc, outrebounded the Hawks and scored 22 points off UNCW’s 25 turnovers to secure the victory.

UNCW did set season highs for free throws made and attempted, making 25 of 34, and although they committed a season-high 21 personal fouls, this was still less than their opponent, something the Hawks have done in all nine games this season.

Junior Jasmine Dickey had an explosive performance for the Blue Hens with 23 points and nine rebounds. Other major contributors included junior Jewel Smalls with 16 points and redshirt junior forward Ty Battle with 13 points and 14 rebounds.

Despite the loss, several Seahawks still put up impressive numbers. Junior guard Za’Nautica Downs finished the game with 23 points and six rebounds. Downs also made 13 free throws, the most free throws made by a UNCW player in a single game since 2008. Freshman forward Taylor Webster tore it up with 14 points and six rebounds in 40 minutes of play, the only Seahawk to start in all nine games this season. Senior forward Carol Anne-Obusek had a solid performance with 13 points and nine rebounds, and freshman guard Mary McMillan put up a respectable eight points, also hitting the Seahawks’ only three of the game.

The Seahawks will look to rebound tomorrow, Jan. 24, at 1 p.m., to close out the series with Delaware, before heading up North to New York next weekend to take on the Hofstra Pride.