Big third quarter leads Seahawks to victory in comeback over Spartans

Noah Powers/The Seahawk

From left: Jessica Mitchell (31), Micah Hoggatt (25), Carol-Anne Obusek (32), Moriah Crisp (2), Shrita Parker (4)

Morgan Starling, Contributing Writer

WILMINGTON – UNCW (3-1) escaped with a comeback win Friday afternoon with a 60-55 victory over in-state rivals, UNCG (0-5), in Trask Coliseum.

The Lady Hawks were losing at the half, but led by senior forward Carol-Anne Obusek, were able to pull ahead with a 22-point third quarter. This is the second week in a row that UNCW turned up the heat in the third to advance their lead. The Lady Hawks were able to secure the win by making four of their six free throws in the final minute of the game. Obusek finished the game with a career-high 21 points, and 10 rebounds, her second double-double in a row.

Freshman guard Mary McMillan chipped in 14 points and junior guard Camille Downs added 14.. Redshirt junior guard Dazia Powell finished with a career-high 10 points and six rebounds.

The Lady Hawks shot 42.6% from the field compared to the Spartans’ 34.5% and only turned the ball over 11 times, a season low. Luckily, the Spartans’ 11 three-pointers weren’t enough to shut down the Seahawks. In fact, this was the third time in four games that UNCW outrebounded their opponents, and the first time this season they had four players score in double digits.

The Spartans’ leading scorers were senior Pernilla Sorensen, with 15 points, redshirt senior Tori Powell with 11, and junior Chatori Tyler, also with 11.

The Lady Hawks have a week to rest before traveling to Kennesaw, Georgia next Friday to take on the Kennesaw State Owls (0-0) at 2 p.m.