UNCW downs Delaware, 1-0, on Senior Night

Brandon Sans, Staff Writer

UNC Wilmington concluded its regular season home schedule with a 1-0 victory over Delaware as it celebrated Senior Night.

“We had to show a little bit of character,” said head coach Aidan Heany.

Defender Gary O’Neill celebrated his final home game, drawing applause during a pregame announcement. Coming into tonight’s match, the hometown graduate of Ashley High School had appeared in four games this season.

O’Neill was the lone senior on this year’s squad that carried nine freshmen, nine sophomores, and five juniors. The underclassmen made sure his last game at UNCW Soccer Stadium did not end in disappointment.

Redshirt junior Julio Moncada scored his eighth goal of the year in the tenth minute of the match. The goal was assisted by freshmen Philip Goodrum.

Goodrum offered his own shot on goal a few moments after Moncada’s early goal. However, he was unable to connect as the score remained 1-0. It proved to be the only two shots taken in the first half by either team.

Delaware finally managed to shoot its first shot in the 56th minute. Junior Carlos Perales’ shot sailed high over UNCW goalkeeper Ryan Cretens.

Delaware played its starting 11 until 60 minutes into the match when freshmen Faruk Mohammed subbed into the match for senior midfielder Jamie Martinez.

Late drama ensued when three yellow cards were issued within the last ten minutes of the game. UNCW’s Goodrum and David Lozano were each issued one along with Delaware’s Tyler Stowell.

All of the cards were issued on different plays. None affected the final outcome as UNCW held on for the win.

“[The win tonight] put us in a better spot,” said Moncada. “We have to come out Tuesday night and win so that can put us in an even better spot.”

UNCW moves to 8-5-2 overall and 3-2-2 in Colonial Athletic Association play. They end the year with a home record of 5-2-1.

Up next, UNCW will travel to Elon to conclude its regular season next Tuesday. It will be the final tune-up for the CAA Tournament that is scheduled to begin next Saturday.

As of this game, UNCW has yet to clinch a berth in the CAA Tournament. Depending on how other CAA games play out between now and Tuesday, UNCW could clinch before its game against Elon or enter it with a must-win reality.