UNCW drops season series to no. 12 Coastal Carolina

UNCW+head+coach+Mark+Scalf+and+Coastal+Carolina+head+coach+Gary+Gilmore+share+a+hug+before+Scalfs+final+matchup+with+the+Chanticleers+on+March+27%2C+2019+at+Springs+Brooks+Stadium.+

Noah Powers/The Seahawk

UNCW head coach Mark Scalf and Coastal Carolina head coach Gary Gilmore share a hug before Scalf’s final matchup with the Chanticleers on March 27, 2019 at Springs Brooks Stadium.

Brandon Sans, Sports Editor

CONWAY, S.C.–For the second time in three games this year, no. 12 Coastal Carolina jumped out to an early lead that UNC Wilmington was unable to overcome.

In the lone game at Springs Brook Stadium, the Chanticleers (19-6-1) downed the Seahawks 9-2 less than 24 hours after catcher Doug Angeli walked the Seahawks off in the bottom of the ninth.

Junior pitcher Zarion Sharpe was unable to work past the third inning in his fourth start of the year. Sharpe allowed six earned runs which matched a career-worst set during his freshman year against Hofstra on April 23, 2017.

Chants outfielder Kieton Rivers inflicted most of the damage against Sharpe. Rivers hit two home runs that totaled five RBI for the senior including a three-run shot that stayed fair down the right-field line in the bottom of the third

Outfielder Kep Brown briefly cut into the Chants’ lead in the top of the fifth with a solo homer before an error led to three more Coastal runs in the bottom of the inning. Brown’s shot was one of three Seahawk (15-11, 3-0 CAA) hits.

“Some of it is him getting back [from offseason shoulder surgery], some of it is being in a competitive situation,” said Scalf. “It’s a matter of slowing his heart rate down and needing to get a little bit more of his delivery,

It was the final time longtime friends Scalf and Coastal coach Gary Gilmore coached against one another. Gilmore honored Scalf in a pregame ceremony prior to the game.

“It meant a lot. Gary’s been a good friend,” said Scalf. “For him to do something like that means the world to me.”

UNCW now turns its attention back to Colonial Athletic Association play with its first home series in the conference this weekend against William & Mary. The Seahawks swept a road series against Towson this past weekend.

Sports Editor Brandon Sans can be found on Twitter @bsans10. Any tips or suggestions should be forwarded via email to [email protected].