Toews shares CAA Rookie-of-the-Week honors

Kai+Toews+%2810%29+shoots+a+layup+during+UNCWs+contest+against+East+Carolina+on+Nov.+27%2C+2018.+The+Seahawks+won+95-86.+

Noah Powers/The Seahawk

Kai Toews (10) shoots a layup during UNCW’s contest against East Carolina on Nov. 27, 2018. The Seahawks won 95-86.

Brent Jansen, Staff Writer

The Colonial Athletic Association named freshman point guard Kai Toews their co-Rookie of the Week. Toews shares the honors with Delaware guard Ithiel Horton.

In two games last week, Toews averaged a double-double with 12 points-per-game and 10 assists-per-game. Toews 63 assists this season are tied for second-most in the NCAA.

Toews showed a lot of promise through the first few weeks of the season. The greatest blemish on his record was turnovers. In the first two games this season, Toews had a total of 13 turnovers. In the seven games since then, Toews has only had 16 turnovers, a major improvement on an already spectacular player

What the stat sheet does not show is the wow factor that Toews brings to the court each contest. It seems that every game Toews has a flashy pass or ankle breaker that can get the crowd on its feet. The stats don’t show the beautiful passes Toews makes that don’t result in baskets. The best way to see Toews’ true skill is by watching him in person.

The last UNC Wilmington freshman to receive the Rookie of the Week award was C.J. Bryce in February of 2016. Bryce won the award four times that season.

The presence of Toews gives a refreshing youth back to UNCW basketball that hasn’t been seen since the Kevin Keatts era. UNCW has been searching for another star to play alongside Cacok since the loss of Jordon Talley, and it may have found that in Toews.

UNCW goes on the road this Wednesday to play North Carolina in Chapel Hill.