Seahawks drop game one to Ohio State

Genevieve Guenther

Austin Chandler, Contributing Writer

UNC Wilmington failed to keep its two-game winning streak alive today as the Seahawks fell to Ohio State by a final score of 8-3.

The Seahawks are now 10-5 on the season with a chance to redeem today’s loss in their rematch with Ohio State on Wednesday.

Breydan Gorham started on the mound for UNCW. He opened the game up with a strikeout of Ohio State’s first batter Dominic Canzone.

After the strikeout, the Buckeyes caught fire, landing two men on base from an error and a walk, followed by three straight RBI’s from senior Noah McGowan, sophomore Conner Pohl, and senior Tyler Cowles.

The Buckeyes ended the top of the first inning up 3-0.

The Seahawks managed to answer the Buckeyes’ hot start with a run of their own in the top of the second after senior Mason Berne got on base with an RBI single to knock in teammate Zack Canada. Both teams added one run in the third inning to make the score 4-2 going into the fourth.

With two outs and two men on base in the bottom of the fourth inning, the Seahawks leadoff hitter Greg Jones stepped up to the plate.

Jones crushed a ball to deep right-center field, where Buckeye center fielder Canzone made an acrobatic sliding catch to save at least two runs and end the inning.

“We didn’t pick those runs up. We’ve got to be able to move the baseball when you got a man on second and third and one down with the infield back. We have to be able to move the baseball in that situation,” said UNCW coach Mark Scalf.

After scoreless fourth and fifth innings, the Buckeyes extended their lead to 8-2, scoring once in the sixth, once in the seventh, and twice in the eighth.

The Seahawks had no trouble making contact as they ended with 12 hits and only seven strikeouts. This offense did not translate into runs due to many innings ending with players left on base, in scoring position.

“We had more hits than they did we just couldn’t score them. It gets frustrating but we had a good approach today, the team as a whole had a good approach, it’s just actually bringing those runners home. It’s going to click. Right now it’s not working but when it does it’s going to be magical.” Said Berne.

In the ninth inning, both Canada and Berne got on base with singles. The Seahawks scored their final run after senior designated hitter David Scheafer batted in Canada with a ground out to the catcher, making the final score of the game 8-3.

Stat of the afternoon: Mason Berne went 3 for 3 in today’s game with one RBI.

Quote of the afternoon: “I don’t think anybody is too down. We can play with these guys and we are ready to go tomorrow.” – Zack Canada