Seahawks survive Presbyterian in 1-0 overtime decision, advance to face UNC

Joe Browning/UNCW Athletic Communications

Midfielder Kalvin Kromer (13) dribbles the ball in UNC Wilmington’s 1-0 overtime win vs. Presbyterian on Thursday.

Lanre Badmus, Staff Writer

UNC Wilmington men’s soccer advanced to the second round of the 2017 NCAA Men’s Soccer Championship after defeating Presbyterian College 1-0 in overtime at UNCW Soccer Stadium on Thursday night.

After failing to find the net on 13 shots in regulation, the Seahawks (12-7) finally broke through 47 seconds into overtime on forward Julio Moncada’s goal, coming off an assist from CAA Rookie-of-the-Year Hjalmar Ekdal sending the 1,670 fans in attendance into a frenzy.

With the win, The Seahawks advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament for the third time in as many opportunities in program history.

The Blue Hose (6-9-6) sat back on defense and soaked up UNCW’s attacking pressure for most of the match. Despite giving up 14 shots and 13 corner kicks, the Presbyterian defense held firm and had goalkeeper Connor Behrend to thank for eight saves, including several late.

Their resistance finally broke down on Moncada’s winner in the 91st minute.

“We had to be sure that we were tight and organized behind the ball,” Seahawk coach Aidan Heaney said. “We created a lot of good chances and their goalkeeper played very, very well tonight. Thankfully, the pressure broke them and we got that goal tonight with Julio. I’m delighted for our fans, delighted for the university, and it was a great night for us.”

Despite failing to finish shot after shot for long periods, the Seahawks were positive a goal was eventually going to come. It eventually did.

“We had confidence in the game plan, and all my teammates and I were just going at it, and we knew that eventually, it was going to come,” Moncada said. “We [remained] patient, then the goal came, and it was so nice. We were patient, and that was a good thing.”

Moncada insisted his team did not experience frustration when they were unable to find the back of the net in regulation, but simply enjoyed the occasion of playing in the NCAA Tournament. They knew the goal was going to eventually arrive, and it was a relief when it finally did.

UNCW’s defense held firm after a disappointing loss in the CAA championship game to William & Mary. The Seahawk backline limited Presbyterian to only three shots in 91 minutes and prevented the Blue Hose from imposing themselves.

“It was all about keeping clean at the back,” freshman defender Ekdal said. “As long as we keep a clean sheet, we will win…every team has got to create some chances. Just don’t let them get any big chances, and it’s fine.”

Now, the Seahawks can look ahead to their rematch with the No. 3 North Carolina Tar Heels, who UNCW defeated 1-0 at home in September.

“They’re an extremely talented team,” Heaney said. “It’s a great opportunity for us. They’ve got their pick of the recruits and they’re extremely well-coached … It’s a good side. But we’re excited. We’re not going to go in there to just make up the numbers. We’ve obviously had a good result against them early on, and I think they’re going to be really prepared to play us. Our players are motivated, and it’s going to be between two good teams.”

Staff Writer Lanre Badmus can be found on Twitter @LonnyBadmon . Any tips or suggestions should be forwarded via email to [email protected]. For video updates from The Seahawk, subscribe to our YouTube channel.