Crimes on campus a concern for students

Alisha Gore

Personal safety issues on campus have heightened after a student reported an attempted armed robbery on campus last month. According to a memo from Bob Fry, assistant to the Chancellor for Planning, to David Donaldson, chief of the UNCW police, a female student reported an attempted armed robbery when returning to her car in the K parking lot, which is adjacent to Trask Coliseum. The student was grabbed from behind, pushed against a car, told to give the suspect her money and threatened with a knife. She was not harmed, because the suspect fled after being scared off when a vehicle was opened by someone using a keyless entry device. This is the first attempted armed robbery reported on campus in more than five years. Other such incidents may have happened but were not reported. “We have had several people step forward to provide us information, but we have not identified the suspect yet,” Donaldson said. “The case remains open.” Although the suspect did not harm the student, there is still a need for students to be educated about crimes that can be committed against them. Since many crimes occur at night rather than during broad daylight, students who attend night classes or travel on campus at night should take certain safety measures. It is safer to travel in groups instead of traveling alone, especially at night. Students should travel in well-lit areas and avoid secluded ones if possible. It is also wise to carry a cell phone and familiarize oneself with the emergency boxes that are placed around campus. “Staying aware of your surroundings is critical,” Donaldson said, “And always trust your instincts.” All victims of these types of crimes had a gut instinct that something was not right before the attack occurred, so trusting one’s instincts is important, Donaldson said. Self-defense classes also provide knowledge of how to deal with dangerous situations. The RAD class, offered by the UNCW police, teaches female students how to defend themselves against rapists. Classes such as karate and kickboxing can also aid in students lowering their chances against personal attacks. Many students are also concerned about how to protect their personal property. Students who reside in dormitories on campus are encouraged to keep their doors and windows closed and locked whenever they are not in their rooms, especially if they live on the first floor, which has the easiest access to potential thieves. “I keep my doors locked,” said Angela Gerald, a 2002 graduate of UNCW. Students are also encouraged to keep automobiles and the back doors of their residence halls closed and locked at all times. Bicycles should also be properly locked to a bicycle rack or another appropriate, fixed object. The UNCW police encourage students to use U-bolt style locks when locking up their bikes. “Cable locks are easily cut,” said Sergeant James Rowell of the UNCW police. With the incidence of identity theft on the rise, it is especially important for students to ensure that credit cards, social security cards and other items that establish identity are not stolen or viewed by anyone with criminal intentions. It is the student’s sole responsibility to secure their personal belongings from the threat of theft and vandalism. “This type of incident, unless a police car happened to be right there, was probably not police-preventable,” Donaldson said. “But we continue to remain very visible and to inform the community.”