Senator Edwards wants to offer first year college tuition free

Alisha Gore

North Carolina Senator and 2004 presidential candidate hopeful John Edwards was the first person in his family to attend college. Now, he wants to help others who have the desire to pursue a college education. Edwards has proposed a plan to enable United States college students to attend their first year of college tuition-free. This plan is called “college for everyone.” To be eligible for this program, students must pass college preparation classes and be willing to work at least ten hours on a part-time job or doing community service work. This proposal is one of many in Edwards’ plan for educational reform. Edwards believes that “… every child should get as good an education as what the richest parents in America can afford for their kids,” said Edwards in a recent press release. Edwards’ “college for everyone” plan could not come at a better time. Over the past several months and over the past year the government has made huge cuts in financial aid. Edwards feels that no distinctions should be made in choosing those who should be eligible for a quality education. “[…] It shouldn’t matter where you come from…it shouldn’t matter who your family is…it shouldn’t matter what the color of your skin is…it shouldn’t matter what language you speak,” Edwards said. “At UNCW we haven’t seen any increase in funds,” said Emily Bliss, director of financial aid. “Most four-year schools in the United States have to include loan funds to pay because the financial aid offices don’t have enough.” Bliss said that while the cost of living and cost of an education goes up, the amount of aid given is not raised along with it, so there have been more loans instead of money the students don’t need to pay back. Many UNCW students have expressed support for programs such as this, especially those students that receive little or no financial aid and have to depend on their parents and/or part time jobs to pay for their college education. Some students have expressed dissatisfaction with the low pay that some part-time jobs pay as compared to the high cost of attending college. “(With your check), you can fill up your [gas] tank for about two or three days, ” said one campus student employee. For many of these students, Edwards plan would give them an entire year to attend college free of tuition and would give them an opportunity to save more money for future years of college education. Edwards’ press office could not be reached by press time for an update on the status of the “college for everyone” plan.