Wrightsville Beach enforces dog walk

Alisha Gore

Wrightsville Beach is a popular place for many UNCW student dog owners to walk their canine companions. However, problems have arisen that have left many UNCW students leaving local dog-walking hot spots with citations. According to the Wrightsville Beach Police Department, most citations are given to dog owners who fail to keep their dog on a leash or clean up after their dog. The WBPD also says that many cited dog owners are college students. “We have been working for about a year to try to get our dog ordinances better understood and to get better compliance,” said Jim Talbot, a member of the Wrightsville Beach Association. The fines start at $25 for each offense. Warning citations are not given by Wrightsville Beach police officers. David Cignotti, a former UNCW student who is currently a member of the Wrightsville Beach Association, reports that these laws are not intended to create a hardship on dog owners. He states that these laws are in effect in order to protect people and the natural environment at Wrightsville Beach. “Wrightsville Beach is a canine friendly town, yet with its location and natural environment it is crucial that we clean up after our pets in order to keep our waters clean for both humans and shellfish,” said Cignotti. Dogs that are not kept on leashes can easily create problems such as harassing and/or attacking people, running out into traffic or causing property damage. Another problem created by dogs that are not kept on leashes is the threat that dogs pose to birds. If not kept on leashes, dogs can disturb nesting areas and destroy birds and their eggs. This is very harmful to the ecologically sensitive bird sanctuary at Wrightsville Beach. The WBA stresses the importance of keeping dogs on leashes. “We allow dogs on the beach (on a leash) from Oct. 1st to March 31st. It’s important that this rule is adhered to, especially at the North End, because that is our bird sanctuary and is designated as a nesting and foraging area for birds during the nesting and migratory seasons,” said Talbot. Improper disposal of dog feces pollutes beaches and waterways. Dog feces contains high amounts of harmful bacteria and parasites that create health hazards for both humans and wildlife, not to mention that it is unpleasant to step in. People who walk dogs at Wrightsville Beach are required to carry a “pooper scooper” or similar device to clean up dog waste produced by their dogs. The waste then must be deposited in designated garbage cans. Cignotti also reports that the WBA is currently working with the town of Wrightsville Beach to erect 20 or so “doggie” stations in Wrightsville Beach. “These stations will provide citizens and visitors with the reasoning behind our dog laws, tell what exactly the law requires and the fines for not following the law,” said Cignotti.