Peeping tom caught with video camera

Alisha Gore

UNCW student Marwan Albataineh was arrested Aug. 22 on charges of secretly videotaping women in restrooms located in Friday Hall and the University Union. So far, Albataineh has been charged with one misdemeanor count of voyeurism. Albataineh, 28, was released on $10,000 bond. The chemistry major has been banned from the UNCW campus until his case is completely reviewed by authorities.

The first complaint against Albataineh was reported on Aug. 15 when a 25-year-old student informed an employee of the University Union that someone was videotaping her in the restroom. The employee, UNCW senior Katelyn Leary, then placed a call to University Police.

“I was working the info desk when a girl came up to the desk and said that a man had been taping her in the bathroom. I called campus police and they came to the Union but couldn’t find anyone or anything,” Leary said. The second complaint against Albataineh was reported on Aug. 22, when a 19-year-old student said that she was being videotaped in a restroom in Friday Hall.

It is believed that Albataineh had been secretly videotaping women in restrooms around campus for at least two months. Footage of several other women was discovered on a handheld camera that was confiscated from Albataineh. These women have not been identified.

“I ask that women consider their activities during the past two months and contact the UNCW Police Department if they think they may have been photographed or recorded,” UNCW Chief of Police David Donaldson said. “I and my staff are acutely aware of the sensitive nature of these cases and are treating this investigation with as much sensitivity and confidentiality as is legally permissible.”

The University Police encourage students, especially female students, to practice safety tips to protect themselves from voyeurs. When using public restrooms or dressing rooms, authorities advise individuals to, above all, trust their instincts. If the atmosphere is uncomfortable or unsafe, it is best to leave immediately. Authorities also advise individuals to first look around the restroom before entering it. Be sure to monitor lighting, the opening and closing of doors, and other people in and around the restroom.

Check open stalls, mirrors, and behind doors in public restrooms for reflections, movements and shadows. Keep all personal belongings, like backpacks and purses, close by. If the safety level of a public restroom is questionable, using an employee/faculty restroom is a better alternative. It is also wise to be accompanied by someone while visiting a public restroom. Anything out of the ordinary, such as the smell of men’s cologne/aftershave or the presence of items that would not be associated with a particular gender’s restroom is usually a sign that something is not right.

In recent years, voyeurs have been placing secret video cameras in public restrooms, hotels, or even private residences. Many of these cameras are very small, and can easily be placed in holes in walls, near toilets, on showerheads and other places. Also be aware of two-way mirrors. This false mirror allows voyeurs to spy on unsuspecting individuals, particularly women. If a mirror appears to be loose from the wall, has a large space between it and the wall, or is in anyway unusual, it may be a two-way mirror. One two-way mirror detection test involves pressing the eyes up to a mirror and cupping the hands around them. If there is an open area behind it, it may be a two-way mirror. Voyeurs have also been known to carry around video cameras in book bags or duffel bags. They then position these cameras in ways that allow them to videotape under women’s dresses and skirts. Cellular phones that have cameras on them can also be used by voyeurs to take pictures under women’s clothing. It is best to take mental notes of anything that seems unusual.

Voyeurism can also occur in the home, apartment, or residence hall. To lessen the chances of being the target of a voyeur, safety officials advise that the most important way to protect privacy is to never leave doors and windows unlocked and unattended. Other safety tips include keeping drapes closed, installing drapery with a heavy backing to prevent silhouetting, keeping outside lights in working order, installing a peephole in entry doors, keeping bushes trimmed and owning a telephone with a lighted keypad that can be read without turning on lights. If anything is missing, out of place, or moved in the home or room, it is best to contact authorities. Any suspicious activity can be reported to the University Police at 962-3184 or anonymously at 962-TIPS (8477). In cases of an emergency, call 4911, 911, or use the nearest emergency call box.

Editor’s note: This is the second installment of our series on campus safety, designed to raise awareness and to provide safety tips for UNCW and the surrounding community.