Limited number of flu shot vaccines available on campus

Ben Wimmer

UNCW has received a limited number of flu shot vaccines available to high risk students. Vaccines are available on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8 a.m. to 11a.m., 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., and on Thursday from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Student Health Center in the Friday Annex. Students are reminded that they should plan to stay 20 minutes after they receive the shot for observation.

Students who are aged 65 and up, students with chronic illness such as asthma, diabetes, and anemia, people on chronic aspirin therapy, health care workers, out of home caregivers, and students who have children under six months of age at home are considered high risk students. Pregnant women should first check with their obstetricians.

“Students should be aware of whether or not they are eligible, and if they are not eligible they should take steps to avoid the flu this season,” said public health educator Brooke Sumner.

“The best way to avoid getting the flu is to practice good hygiene and by getting enough sleep at night, resting often, eating right, exercising, and most importantly, washing your hands often!” Sumner said.

There has been a nationwide shortage of the flu shot vaccine so far this year and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has asked Americans not in the high risk group to forgo flu vaccinations this year.

The cost of the flu shot vaccine is $10. The UNCW Student Health Center can be reached at 962-3280. Students should have received an e-mail to their UNCW account with all of the necessary information.

UNCW’s supply is available only for students. Faculty should call the Blue Cross and Blue Shield flu clinic hotline at (866)617-3797 for more information.