Hip-Hop dance group brings their moves to UNCW

Andrea Cavallier

Day after day, college students spend extensive hours of their life in a vociferous world called MTV. They see many different genres of music but most of the time they stick with whatever is climbing the charts. They watch them sing and dance, but where is the soul? The passion?

The Rennie Harris Puremovement is an original dance group that depicts hip-hop with exactly that kind of genuine passion. Choreographer, Harris, and company will perform Saturday, April 9 at 8 p.m. in UNCW’s Kenan Auditorium. This is the final event of UNCW’s seven-part Arts in Action Performance Series.

“By bringing Rennie Harris Puremovement to campus, we hope to introduce students to the fact that art isn’t only found in museums and concert halls, but expression and creativity can be found on the street, such as hip-hop, and is very much a part of our everyday lives and culture,” said Shannon Hooker, assistant director for Programs & Marketing. “Through his stage performances, Rennie Harris presents hip-hop as a powerful art form.

Before heading out for a compelling night at Kenan Auditorium, many will also be able to take the hip-hop class that is being offered earlier that day. Harris himself will conduct a hip-hop dance class Saturday, April 9 at 2 p.m. in the Student Recreation Center. An RSVP is required and can be obtained through [email protected].

UNCW students are not the only ones who take advantage of these enthralling events. Sara Short, a sophomore at Cape Fear Community College conveys an avid interest in going to this event.

“I have been trying to attend one of these events for awhile now. The Rennie Harris Puremovement is definitely one I will be at. I’m really interested to see their style of dancing, one that expresses themes beyond racial or religious boundaries. I think other students will also really appreciate this type of dance that has that perfect mixture of African American roots with a modern day spirit,” said Short.

Lorenzo (Rennie) Harris founded Puremovement in 1992 with the goal of reintroducing hip-hop to the world. Founding his company on the belief that hip-hop is the most important expression of a new generation, Harris is an advocate for disseminating and renewing hip-hop culture today.

Tickets are $6 for university and area students, $14 for UNCW faculty/staff and senior citizens, and $18 for all others. Call Kenan Auditorium at 910-962-3500 or 800-732-3643 outside the Wilmington area. Box Office hours are 10 a.m to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday.