UNCW students and organizations help with Katrina relief efforts

Amanda Hutcheson

When Hurricane Katrina, just downgraded from a category 5, hit the gulf coast last week, the devastation was enormous. Once levies broke in New Orleans, 80 percent of the city was underwater. High poverty rates meant many citizens did not have the means to evacuate. The death toll is already in the hundreds. “This is going to be an issue that is going to need our attention for months and even years,” remarked Student Body President Bradley Ballou. 

So what are Seahawk students doing to help with the relief effort?

SGA, along with other student organizations, will be setting up American Red Cross cans around campus. Cans will be in the Student Union, Wagner, the library, and classroom buildings. Students are encouraged to donate whatever they can.

SGA will also be hosting a dance-a-thon in October to raise money for Hurricane Katrina relief with the help of other organizations. There will be another fundraising event in the spring. “We are waiting until things calm down to host an event,” said Katie Gurgainus, VP of Organizations. “We don’t want people to forget about this catastrophe after just a few months.  It is going to take years to rebuild and we should continue to support these efforts well into the future.”

Students can also go to the website http://www.uncw.edu/hurricanerelief to find out what else is being done on campus.