Country star expected to draw in students

Andrea Cavallier

With Family Weekend just around the corner, Jo Dee Messina is set to perform at 8 p.m. on September 24 in Trask Coliseum. Parents, siblings and family friends are invited to the UNCW campus for Family Weekend 2005, which will be held Sept. 23-25.

Messina, an award-winning, multi-platinum artist is invited to perform by the UNCW Family Weekend committee.

Messina has been honored by many organizations including, the Country Music Association, the Academy of Country Music and the Grammys. The first female country artist to score three multiple-week number-one songs from the same album, Messina has also had eight number one singles. According to a recent press release, Messina speaks out about her passion for music.

“Music has always been an enormous part of my life,” said Messina. “It’s not just something I do, it’s part of who I am. Songwriting to me is my refuge, a safe place to me where I can go to spell out my emotions, especially when dealing with tough situations. It helps me to gain perspective. You could say that songwriting gives me emotional freedom.”

In April of 2005, Messina released her 4th studio album, “Delicious Surprise.” Her single, “My Give a Damn’s Busted,” instantly rose to #9 on the R&R Singles Chart and #10 on Billboard.

Beginning August 30, Curb Records decided to make one of Messina’s other hit singles, “Heaven Was Needing a Hero” available through iTunes. This previously unreleased track was originally recorded during the sessions for her current album. The song was written by Messina in honor of all the fallen soldiers from the Iraq war and has been drawing standing ovations every night that Messina has performed it during her tour this past summer.

Students around the campus have been heard chatting about the upcoming event. Even if some don’t attend all the events of Family Weekend, there are usually a higher number of students in attendance at the annual concerts.

“My roommate was the one who told me about the concert,” Lisa Ho, a junior said. “We decided to make it a roommate outing and attend the event together. Messina’s songs are gaining immense popularity by climbing the country Billboard charts and I’m really excited about seeing her perform.”

Tickets may be purchased by visiting www.uncwtickets.com.

For more information and a schedule of events, please visit http://www.uncw.edu/stuaff/transitions/documents/FamilyWeekendNewsletter.pdf.