UNCW student found dead in her apartment

Amanda Hutcheson

UNCW sophomore Amanda Honeycutt, 20, was found dead in the bathtub of her apartment in the early morning hours of Sept. 29. When her roommates found her, she was already dead and the police were called.

Investigator Mike Overton with the Wilmington Police said she drowned in the bathtub and that the cause of death was accidental. Overton said that it was definitely not a suicide and there was “nothing suspicious, just a sad accident.” The final police report is waiting on the results of a toxicology test, and while Investigator Overton was hesitant to make a statement until the official report was released, he emphasized that it was accidental. A funeral service was held on Sunday, Oct. 2 at Baptist Chapel Church in Sampson County.

Honeycutt was a sophomore at UNCW and a pre-business major. She lived off-campus in the Cape Cottages apartment complex. She was from Autryville, NC, and graduated from Midway High School in Sampson County in 2003.

While the Wilmington Police handled the case, David Donaldson, University Chief of Police, did comment. “The thoughts and prayers of myself, my family, and the staff of the police department are with Amanda’s family and it’s a great tragedy that will affect their lives forever,” he said. “This is just another reminder that every life is somebody and it’s somebody with hopes and dreams that won’t be fulfilled and a family that’s left behind with a lot of unanswered questions and a long journey of loss. Though the majority of the UNCW community lives beyond the jurisdiction of the University’s police department these jurisdictional boundaries limit authority for law enforcement functions, but they do not define boundaries for care, concern, and most certainly thoughts and prayers for Amanda’s family and friends.”