UNCW attempts to bridge the gap between campus and community

Amanda Hutcheson

With the return of students to college campuses, back-to-school parties are likely to cause noise and irritate neighbors. Balancing the interests of students who want to enjoy their college years with those of residents who have other responsibilities is difficult. UNCW has created a University/Community Relations Task Force with Chancellor Rosemary DePaolo and Wilmington Mayor Spence Broadhurst to deal with these problems.

The task force includes staff from UNCW, the city manager’s office and students, and holds public forums where residents can speak. Cape Fear Community College was invited to join as well. The task force has been functioning for a year and a half and deals with problems that arise when students live in neighborhoods with non-students. Examples of problems reported to the University in the past include noise, disposing of trash, urinating in yards, and damaging of mailboxes and bushes. Another common problem is students charging friends to park in their neighbors’ designated parking areas.

However, recent reports that noise complaints are increasing may not be completely accurate. While police reports show an increase in the number of noise complaints received, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, Patricia Leonard said that this year the university has received “barely any” noise complaints and was never notified by the police about the ones they received. This is unusual, as the weeks when school starts back usually have a lot of parties, and with them, complaints. Also, noise complaints the police receive can include annoyances other than parties.

She did encourage residents to call the Wilmington Police before the university. The police can issue citations, which come with fines of $250 for the first offense and $500 for each subsequent offense. The University is limited in what it can do off campus. “We don’t typically take judicial action on students off campus unless there’s a significant issue threatening the safety of the campus,” Leonard said. Such behaviors could possibly include assault or selling drugs, where there is a significant chance of the behaviors being carried onto campus. But as for noise, the most the university can do is call students in to talk and remind them of their responsibility to be a good citizen. Some universities take judicial action against students for off-campus parties, but UNCW has not reserved that right. Leonard said residents should feel welcome to call the university, but that they should also call the police and not rely solely on the university to stop noise.

David Donaldson, Chief of University Police and member of the task force, said “I think that speaks to the success of our efforts in getting those calls appropriately recorded with the appropriate agency.”

When contacted, the Wilmington Police Department declined to comment.

“It’s a frustrating situation,” Leonard said. “Students want to be able to have fun, and have their own activities and parties. But at the same time, they have to understand that they live in a community with others and they have to respect the rights of others and their property. I don’t know how we literally stop all of it.”

Jeff Grenato is not a student but lives in Clear Run Apartments, a complex that is largely made up of college students. “Students should realize that there are residents of Clear Run and other complexes and homes that are not attending college,” he said. “Therefore, should they not be considerate of others?” He said the biggest issues he has seen are loud music, not just from parties but also from cars, and lack of respect for resident’s property, including throwing trash in common areas. “On the other hand,” he added, “I have had the opportunity to meet several students that are considerate and cause no issues and make great neighbors.”

Donaldson pointed out that the university is in a unique situation of being expected to control the behaviors of those affiliated with it when they are in their own homes. “Much of the community is looking at UNCW and saying ‘These are your students, fix them.’ We want the university’s jurisdiction to follow them wherever they go. It’s a different expectation and perspective with the assumption of a UNCW student.” For example, he said, if someone in his neighborhood who happened to work at the hospital threw a loud party, he would not call hospital security to complain about it.

He also emphasized that the problem is not completely UNCW students. “I have been within some of these communities to speak with students and one thing we discovered is that while much of the community is saying this is UNCW students causing these problems, our experience is that about one third are Cape Fear [Community College] students, another third are not affiliated with any college or university in the area, and another third may be [UNCW] students.”

Donaldson emphasized that this does not give UNCW students the right to disregard courtesy for their neighbors and added that he has received commitments from Wilmington Chief of Police Ralph Evangelous, New Hanover Sheriff Sidney Causey and Ted Carlton, Wilmington district Alcohol Law Enforcement supervisor, to report violations by students to UNCW.

UNCW distributes packets to many off-campus neighborhoods with advice for both students and residents on how to get along better. Tips for students include maintaining the appearance of rental properties (mowing the grass, cleaning up after pets, picking up trash, etc.), parking cars in appropriate areas, monitoring noise after 9 p.m. and getting to know neighbors.

Leonard suggested that students who are planning parties introduce themselves to neighbors and give neighbors a number to call if the party gets too loud. However, she pointed out that parties have a way of getting out of hand and even the best intentions only go so far.

Many students may not be aware of the extent of liability that comes with hosting a party. In addition to noise complaints, open container tickets carry a $500 fine. Underage students consuming alcohol can get a $2000 fine and students over 21 providing alcohol to underage drinkers can get a $250 fine and 25 hours of community service for the first conviction. There is also something known as Social Host Liability. If someone throws a party and a person consumes enough alcohol to become legally intoxicated and is involved in an accident on the way home, the family of the victim can sue the host of the party. Leonard urged students to keep these consequences in mind the next time they consider throwing a party.

If residents wish to complain about noise, parking, or other student violations, they are urged to call Wilmington Police at 343-3600 and then the UNCW Office of the Dean of Students at 962-3119.