Soccer Aims High for ’06

Ian Richardson

The UNCW men’s soccer team enters the 2006 campaign as a team battered by last year’s senior exits, yet filled with excitement from several key returning players and a swarm of fresh, new talent.

There were many losses following the 2005 season, including leading goal-scorer Sam Leger and defensive stand-out Dustin Efird.

Also gone is Keith Shevlin, who recently signed a professional contract with Cork City F.C. in his native Ireland.

With such losses, this season will provide a perfect opportunity for returning and new players alike to step into those roles and make their marks.

Head coach Aidan Heaney has especially high expectations for his two senior captains Chris Murray and Thomas King.

“Chris really came on at the end of last season; we’re looking for him to continue that into 2006,” Heaney said.

One player who is back for Heaney’s bunch is Tim Masters. The Charlotte native completed his freshman season with honors, as he was selected for the CAA All-Rookie team. However, the squad is not just made of returning stars.

A freshman class of 12 makes the Seahawks a younger team than most will realize. Several of these rookies have already contributed to the program with five freshmen starting the season opener at Campbell.

Heaney points to the likes of Pedro Pereira, David Acosta and Kirk Hudgins as “pleasant surprises” and wants their great play to continue throughout the season.

Of course with such a large freshman class, the Seahawks will be relying heavily on their seniors to provide much needed leadership.

Goalkeeper Brad Knighton and defender Russell Bienias will be integral in leading the Seahawks defense.

An ESPN the Magazine All-Academic team member, Bienias was a rock in the Seahawks back line as well as quietly pushing forward to net six goals in 2005.

Fresh off their first-ever trip to the CAA tournament semifinals last season, look for Heaney and his Seahawks have the tools to once again reach that mark, and perhaps even take it a step further in 2006.