Raynor raising the bar

Ian Richardson

Anna Raynor is just your typical UNCW senior- minus the fact she can throw a javelin more than 179 feet, a distance that has earned her a national ranking of fourth. But the Benson, N.C., native likes to keep that in the back of her mind as she focuses on one main objective: the NCAA national meet in June.

Raynor, a marketing major and art minor, was the traditional multi-sport athlete growing up – playing volleyball, basketball and softball in high school. She began competing in track and field in her sophomore year, which ultimately led her to UNCW.

“I just stuck with what I was best at,” she said regarding her reasoning for choosing to pursue a future in track and field.

It was certainly a wise choice, as she’s received All-America honors for her performances.

Raynor began competing in javelin through the heptathlon, a seven-event contest that tests the versatility of the athletes competing. “From there I just kept learning,” she said.

Her school record throw of 179 feet 2 inches last spring posted the fourth best throw in the nation, currently ranking her second among collegiate athletes, as the top two compete professionally.

Raynor admits the national recognition adds a certain pressure but at the same time gives a massive confidence boost.

“I never saw it coming. I try to keep it in the back of my head and just focus on nationals,” she said.

Raynor’s dominance, however, is not just restricted to the javelin. Last season, she earned All-Conference honors in the long jump, high jump, high hurdles and ran a leg on the 4-100-meter relay team.

The combination of consistent success in multiple events has led Anna to a major CAA award in each of her three seasons to date. She collected the CAA Rookie-of-the-Year title her freshman year and followed that up with back-to-back CAA Athlete-of-the-Year honors in her sophomore and junior years.

With outdoor track and field fast approaching, many around the CAA are wondering if Raynor can cap off a brilliant career by completing the Athlete-of-the-Year three-peat.

“I hope so,” she laughed. “I guess I have a good chance.”