World renowned and influential Temple Grandin to speak in Kenan

Gillian Perry | Assistant Lifestyles Editor

Time magazine’s 2010 list of the 100 most influential people in the world, a doctorate in animal science and the creation of corrals that de-stress cattle are not usually associated with autism, a developmental disorder that affects social and communication skills. Dr. Temple Grandin is an autistic woman known worldwide for all of these accomplishments. She will be speaking at UNCW in Kenan Auditorium on Feb. 14 at 7 p.m.

Grandin’s lecture has already sold out, but overflow seating tickets for streaming in Lumina Theater are available at Sharky’s Box Office. The lecture is a part of the UNCW Leadership Lecture Series.

“The series serves as a forum for intellectual inquiry and discussion, offering the campus and community opportunities to discuss and explore a variety of topics and current events that shape our community,” said Shannon Hooker, Director of Campus Life Arts and Programs.

Grandin is widely known for her work in autism advocacy and the consultant work she does for the livestock industry. Grandin was diagnosed with autism at a young age, but her ability to think different from others—in her words, to “think in pictures”—has helped her understand things that other brains might miss.

“I hope [the lecture] sparks an interest in students to think more deeply about their own learning,” Hooker said. “Temple makes the case that the world needs all kinds of people to be successful, including those on the autism spectrum: visual thinkers, pattern thinkers, verbal thinkers and all kinds of smart people.”

Grandin’s lecture has already prompted an outstanding response from the community and will draw a variety of listeners.

“I’m excited to hear Dr. Grandin’s perspective on autism, learning and the science side of things that I haven’t heard much about,” said freshman Erin McCarthy.

Tickets are required for the lecture but are free for students, faculty and staff. They are $9 for the general public.