V for Vagina

Pernille Smith | Staff Writer

The Women’s Studies Student Association at UNCW will present the “The Vagina Monologues” on Feb. 3 and 5 at 7 p.m. in Lumina Theater. Proceeds from the play will support the Rape Crisis Center of Coastal Horizons Center, Inc. and The Carousel Center for Abused Children. A small portion goes back to V-Day International’s cause.

The production is based on playwright and activist Eve Ensler’s off-Broadway play which was first performed 11 years ago in New York. The play consists of a collection of monologues which focus on the personal narratives of women. Praised as “the most important piece of political theater of the last decade” by The New York Times, the monologues of the play are heartbreaking and hilarious, inspiring laughter and empowerment in equal measure.

The play is directed by the UNCW senior Lisa Huynh and Deanna Stoker of the Rape Crisis Center of Coastal Horizons.

The cast of the play consists of volunteers, many of whom are UNCW students. Drewe Smith, president of the Women’s Studies Student Association and stage crew manager for the play urges fellow students to attend and support the great cause.

“It deals with really devastating issues like rape and incest, and then also mixes it with skits about funny personal sexual encounters,” said Smith. “It creates an atmosphere in which you are not intimidated or nervous. I think what you can take away from [the play] is empowerment.”

Graduate student Patricia Mason will perform the spotlight monologue which centers on late Haitian political activist Myriam Merlet. Mason encourages all students to attend and notes the universality of the play.

“This production is the compilation of women’s stories from all walks of life, and I hope women see the common threads running throughout that we all share, no matter who we are,” said Mason. “Just by attending “The Vagina Monologues” they are helping support shelters for domestic violence and making a difference.” 

‘The Vagina Monologues’ production coincides with the annual V-Day on which local productions of the play are performed all over the world. V-Day is a global grassroots movement with the goal of bringing attention and funds to stop violence and abuse against women.

This year, the spotlight of “The Vagina Monologues” focuses on the girls and women of Haiti. The play calls attention to the increase of sexual violence in the aftermath of the January 2010 earthquake.

The productions are sponsored by the Women’s Studies Student Association. Tickets are $5 for students and $10 for non-students. Tickets are available through etix.com and in person at Sharky’s Box Office, Fisher Student Center, 910.962.4045.