Seahawk baseball returns with high expectations

Ryan Brabrand | Contributing Writer

Mark Scalf is entering his 20th season as the UNC Wilmington head baseball coach and is expecting big things from the team this season. The Seahawks are looking to return to the CAA championship game for the third straight year with the hopes of bringing a title back to Wilmington. 

“The team needs to improve in the execution of the game and make sure they play constantly day to day at the plate, on the mound and in the field,” Scalf said. 

Aspects of the game like executing bunts, smart base running and throwing strikes consistently are some of the things the team has been working on this off-season to better improve their game.

“The pitching staff and depth we have will be a strength for us this year,” Scalf said. “The ability is there; now it’s about executing against an opponent.”

The Seahawk pitching staff will have a little extra help on their side this season with a new rule change to college baseball. The NCAA is implementing a new regulation for the 2011 season which will affect the type of bats that hitters will be allowed to use. The rule states that all bats used in games must be approved under BBCOR standards which means the new bats being used were created to give a more “wooden-bat-like” feel and effect.

So what does this mean for the Seahawks? Because the new bats will dramatically affect the way a baseball launches off the bat, Scalf expects the power numbers from last season to be down significantly.

“We have been using the new bats since the fall, and as a whole unit our team’s numbers have been down tremendously in the power department. But as a whole we’re still hitting like we should and putting up runs,” sophomore Hunter Ridge said.

Despite the new bats affecting power numbers at the plate this season, there are a few big names in the Seahawks batting order that will provide a lot of strength to the Seahawk offense. Scalf says that senior Alex Hill, sophomore Hunter Ridge and juniors Andrew Cain and Matt Campbell need to swing the bat well this season in order for the Seahawk offense to be effective.

“Speed and hustle will also be focal points this season for the team both offensively and defensively,” Scalf said.

With last year’s All-American freshman, Hunter Ridge, and CAA All-Rookie, Michael Bass, taking the reigns as the team’s undesignated leaders, this year’s class of freshmen has a lot to live up to. According to Scalf, the freshmen of this year’s class will serve primarily in back-up roles for regular starters off days and in case of injuries.

With the season quickly approaching the fans will soon see if the baseball team can play up to expectations and bring home a CAA title to Wilmington in what is going to be an exciting season for Seahawk baseball. UNCW’s first game is Feb. 18, when the Seahawks will entertain Jacksonville at home in the first game of a three-game series.